The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Register now for the upcoming GATK Best Practices workshop, Nov 7-8 at the Broad in Cambridge, MA. Open to all comers! More info and signup at

Fishy output from ReduceReads

blakeoftblakeoft ConnecticutPosts: 9Member

I've been following the best practices guide and I've gotten some odd looking output from ReduceReads. Here's a sample:

C100 16 chrM 4934 60 1M * 0 0 T 7 BD:Z:E RG:Z:JC01_L1 BI:Z:L RR:B:c,1 RS:A:1

The odd part is the CIGAR string. Is "1M" a reasonable CIGAR string? Furthermore, prior to ReduceReads, Picard tools' ValidateSamFile finished with no errors, and the validation for the ReduceReads output is like so:

WARNING: Record 1, Read name 1, NM tag (nucleotide differences) is missing

That occurs for records 1 - 100 and then ValidateSamFile does not report any more.

Here is the command line I used for ReduceReads:

java -Xmx2g -jar $GATK -T ReduceReads -R $genomes/hg19.fa -I $alignments/$lane.dedup.realn.recal.bam -o $alignments/$lane.dedup.realn.recal.reduced.bam

Note that pwd is surrounded by back ticks, I just don't know how to disable them from interrupting the code format.

Any advice?

Best Answer

• blakeoftblakeoft ConnecticutPosts: 9Member

Thank you for your answer, Geraldine. I misunderstood what ReduceReads actually does. I went back and watched the presentation and it all makes sense now.