The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Last chance to register for the GATK workshop next week in Basel, Switzerland! http://www.sib.swiss/training/upcoming-training-events/training/gatk-workshop-lecture

Rare variants from annotated vcf file

rohan1925rohan1925 New YorkPosts: 4Member
edited February 2014 in Ask the GATK team

Hi,

I have annotated my vcf file of 20 samples from Unified genotyper using the following steps.

Unified genotyper->Variantrecalibration->Applyrecalibration->VariantAnnotator

My question is how should I proceed if I have to select rare variants (MAF<1%) for the candidate genes that I have,for each of these 20 samples?

Post edited by rohan1925 on

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,469Administrator, Dev admin
    edited February 2014

Hi there,

If you're asking how you should design your analysis, I'm afraid this question is beyond our current scope of support. I can only point you to the variant manipulation tools (e.g. SelectVariants) and answer specific questions about how to use them.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• rohan1925rohan1925 New YorkPosts: 4Member
    edited February 2014

I want to use SelectVariants only since I have used all the tools from GATK until Variant Annotator for variants.So in this how should I get MAF (minor allele frequency) to be less than 1%,using -AF parameter?

Also,I need to select variants only for candidate genes that I have.

Ah, sorry to get back to you so late. I believe you should be able to do that simply using -select "AF < 0.01". Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

• rohan1925rohan1925 New YorkPosts: 4Member

Hi,

Thanks for your response! I am using this command,and getting some error.

java -Xmx2g -jar /GenomeAnalysisTK-2.7-4-g6f46d11/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T SelectVariants -R human_g1k_v37.fasta --variant annotated.vcf -o annotated.select.vcf -select "AF<0.01"

ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ERROR stack trace

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid JEXL expression detected for select-0 with message ![0,9]: 'AF < 0.01;' < error

In my VariantRecalibration,I had asked for following parameters to be included:
    -an DP -an QD -an FS -an MQRankSum -an ReadPosRankSum

Do I have to include -an AF as well?

No, if it was a problem of missing annotations the error would be different. Is there any chance some of your variants are multi-allelic? The problem is that for multi-allelic variants, AF is a list of numbers instead of a single number, so the JEXL expression I gave you won't work. Unfortunately there is currently no way to test AF for multi-allelic variants, so you need to skip them in order for this to work.