The current GATK version is 3.7-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you remember to?

1. Search using the upper-right search box, e.g. using the error message.
2. Try the latest version of tools.
3. Include tool and Java versions.
4. Tell us whether you are following GATK Best Practices.
5. Include relevant details, e.g. platform, DNA- or RNA-Seq, WES (+capture kit) or WGS (PCR-free or PCR+), paired- or single-end, read length, expected average coverage, somatic data, etc.
6. For tool errors, include the error stacktrace as well as the exact command.
7. For format issues, include the result of running ValidateSamFile for BAMs or ValidateVariants for VCFs.
8. For weird results, include an illustrative example, e.g. attach IGV screenshots according to Article#5484.
9. For a seeming variant that is uncalled, include results of following Article#1235.

Did we ask for a bug report?

Then follow instructions in Article#1894.

Formatting tip!

Surround blocks of code, error messages and BAM/VCF snippets--especially content with hashes (#)--with lines with three backticks ( ``` ) each to make a code block.
Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Picard 2.9.0 is now available. Download and read release notes here.
GATK 3.7 is here! Be sure to read the Version Highlights and optionally the full Release Notes.

Indel realignment for a normal-tumor pair of BAM files

dgacquerdgacquer BelgiumMember Posts: 2

Dear GATK team,

I have noticed that sometimes, when I run IndelRealigner independently on a tumor BAM file and its matching normal BAM file, I get different haplotypes, leading to false somatic variant or indel calls. Is there a way to ensure that both BAM files are realigned the same way ? For instance, merging both BAM files together, running IndelRealigner and splitting resulting BAM file by read group ?

Best regards

David

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• dgacquerdgacquer BelgiumMember Posts: 2

Thanks Geraldine,

I did not known about the -nWayOut argument, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Best regards

David

• artitandonartitandon Member Posts: 23

Is this the standard way to run Indel realignment for the tumor/normal samples, i,e. run it for both the normal and tumor sample together, and then use the -nWayOut option?

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie Posts: 11,388 admin

Yes it is.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• artitandonartitandon Member Posts: 23
  • IrantzuIrantzu Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2016

Hi there!
    Maybe this has been asked before but if I have paired normal/tumor datasets, should I run both RealignerTargetCreator and IndelRealigner commands using both bam (N/T) files at time (for the both steps)?
    Thank you in advance,

• shleeshlee CambridgeMember, Broadie, Moderator Posts: 497 admin

Hi @Irantzu,

If you are using a mutation caller that reassembles haplotypes, e.g. MuTect2, then there is no longer a need to perform indel realignment. If you are using a pile-up caller, e.g. MuTect1, then yes, please run RealignerTargetCreator and IndelRealigner on both your matched T/N BAMs concurrently. You can pass in multiple alignment BAMs each with the -I parameter. Generate one output file for each input by specifying -nWayOut instead of -o for IndelRealigner. For detailed documentation, see Tutorial#7156.