The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Register now for the upcoming GATK Best Practices workshop, Nov 7-8 at the Broad in Cambridge, MA. Open to all comers! More info and signup at

dbSNP - ancestral_allele and gene_name data missing in SubSNP table

messiemessie Skaneateles, nyPosts: 3Member
edited January 2014 in Ask the GATK team

Question on the dbSNP database. Looks like the SubSNP table is the only location for ancestral_allele and gene_name information for a given snp_id/subsnp_id. However, these fields in SubSNP are very sparsely populated. For example, if you search the dbSNP web page :

you can see the ancestral allele for rs5 is G. However, if you search snp_id=5 in the SubSNP table, both ancestral_allele and gene_name are null:

mysql> select gene_name,ancestral_allele from SubSNP where snp_id=5;
| gene_name | ancestral_allele |
|           |                  |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Can anyone explain this discrepancy or know where I can get ancestral_allele or gene_name if not in SubSNP directly ?

Post edited by Geraldine_VdAuwera on

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,565Administrator, Dev admin

Hi there,

I have no idea what the SubSNP table is so I can't help you. Perhaps someone from the community will pop up with an answer, but if not I would ask the dbSNP support folks, or post your question on a more general forum like Biostars or SeqAnswers. Good luck!

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD