The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Last chance to register for the GATK workshop next week in Basel, Switzerland! http://www.sib.swiss/training/upcoming-training-events/training/gatk-workshop-lecture

Compiler errors when building GATK core while gsea2-2.0.12.jar in CLASSPATH

bw_bw_ Cambridge, MAPosts: 3Member
edited December 2013 in Ask the GATK team

Hi, this took me a while to debug, so I'm posting the solution here.
I started by downloading a clean copy of GATK core platform from GitHub. When I first tried building by running ant, I got the compiler errors below. The reason turned out to be that an unrelated jar (gsea2-2.0.12.jar) was on my CLASSPATH (this is from another Broad tool I've been using - Gene Set Enrichment Analysis). gsea2-2.0.12.jar apparently contains outdated versions of apache math and io packages which conflict with the GATK versions. Taking this jar off my CLASSPATH fixed the issue.

-Ben

Ps. the compiler errors were:

gatk.compile.internal.source:
    [javac] Compiling 681 source files to /prog/GATK/gatk_platform_git/build/java/classes
    [javac] /prog/GATK/gatk_platform_git/public/java/src/org/broadinstitute/sting/commandline/ParsingEngine.java:260: error: incompatible types
    [javac]         for (String line: FileUtils.readLines(file))
    [javac]                                              ^
    [javac]   required: String
    [javac]   found:    Object
    [javac] /prog/GATK/gatk_platform_git/public/java/src/org/broadinstitute/sting/utils/MannWhitneyU.java:50: error: no suitable constructor found for NormalDistributionImpl(double,double,double)
    [javac]     private static NormalDistribution APACHE_NORMAL = new NormalDistributionImpl(0.0,1.0,1e-2);
    [javac]                                                       ^
    [javac]     constructor NormalDistributionImpl.NormalDistributionImpl() is not applicable
    [javac]       (actual and formal argument lists differ in length)
    [javac]     constructor NormalDistributionImpl.NormalDistributionImpl(double,double) is not applicable
    [javac]       (actual and formal argument lists differ in length)
    [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
    [javac] Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
    [javac] 2 errors

BUILD FAILED
/prog/GATK/gatk_platform_git/build.xml:454: Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.
Post edited by bw_ on

Best Answer

Answers

• bw_bw_ Cambridge, MAPosts: 3Member
    edited December 2013

NP. Seems like this issue could occasionally repeat with different errors. Is there a reason GATK build.xml can't be changed from:

<property name="build.sysclasspath" value="first" /> 

to

<property name="build.sysclasspath" value="last" />

(this seems to fix the problem without having to remove GSEA from CLASSPATH) ?

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,468Administrator, Dev admin

I'm not sure -- I'll fwd this to our build manager.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,468Administrator, Dev admin

FYI we are syncing up with the GSEA devs to avoid such collisions in future.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD