The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Register now for the upcoming GATK Best Practices workshop, Nov 7-8 at the Broad in Cambridge, MA. Open to all comers! More info and signup at

Recently I've been wanting to preform tasks for each interval in a file using the GATK. Are you guys planning to create an IntervalWalker class? (Or is there a workaround?) DiagnoseTargets in gatk-protected seem to work this way, but not in a very straightforward way - also since it's protected I'm not sure how much if any code I could borrow from there.

Best Answer

• ebanksebanks Broad InstitutePosts: 698Member, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator, Dev admin

Hi Daniel,
    Walkers do have the ability to "reduce by interval". DepthOfCoverage is an example of a walker that does this in certain situations. Does this meet your needs?

Eric Banks, PhD -- Director, Data Sciences and Data Engineering, Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT

• dklevebringdklevebring Posts: 79Member

It seems that it can to what I want. I see that DoC uses onTraversalDone() which seems powerful. The comment in the source code is good:

(pasted here for reference to other readers)

* Return true if your walker wants to reduce each interval separately.  Default is false.
     * If you set this flag, several things will happen.
     * The system will invoke reduceInit() once for each interval being processed, starting a fresh reduce
     * Reduce will accumulate normally at each map unit in the interval
     * However, onTraversalDone(reduce) will be called after each interval is processed.
     * The system will call onTraversalDone( GenomeLoc -> reduce ), after all reductions are done,
     *   which is overloaded here to call onTraversalDone(reduce) for each location
     * @return true if your walker wants to reduce each interval separately.
    public boolean isReduceByInterval() {
        return true; //changes default behavior.

One question: Can I get to the interval data in onTraversalDone, for example chromosome and coordinate or do I have to pass those along between the map() calls? I will be looking for info like the reference sequence of the interval too - can that be done using built-in methods or would I have to "build" them from several reduce steps myself?

thanks a lot!

• dklevebringdklevebring Posts: 79Member

Yeah, that works! Thanks.