The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Last chance to register for the GATK workshop next week in Basel, Switzerland! http://www.sib.swiss/training/upcoming-training-events/training/gatk-workshop-lecture

HaplotypeCaller is slow

My variant calling seems very slow. What do you think?

We have 10 BAM files, each about 2.5GB, covering a targetted region of about 15MB.

I am using the HaplotypeCaller with 8 threads (-nct 8) and it is taking 31 hours.

When we start whole genome sequencing this will be impossible!

Any ideas on how to speed things up? Is this a normal speed?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• leeyoungwhaleeyoungwha Posts: 23Member

Hello,

It doesn't sound unusual in my experience - I've run HaplotypeCaller with 94 samples after ReduceReads, nct 20, minPruning 2. I paralellized it - running two jobs with nct 20, 1 Mb at a time for each thread. A chromosome in my species is ~14 Mb, and that took about 2-3 days. I would say running a couple jobs and decreasing the size of your target segment for each job might help, since then variant calling won't stall completely on difficult regions?

YW

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,469Administrator, Dev admin

That seems like a lot, although it sounds like that's pretty deep sequencing. Maybe you're running into coverage issues. Are you using ReduceReads to compress your data at all?

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,469Administrator, Dev admin

@leeyoungwha, the runtimes you're getting sounds about right, but you're working with 94 samples; whereas Mike is working with only 10, which should be comparatively much faster.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• mike_boursnellmike_boursnell Posts: 94Member

Maybe I should stick to UnifiedGenotyper?

• mike_boursnellmike_boursnell Posts: 94Member

Sounds good. I'll look forward to it