The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Last chance to register for the GATK workshop next week in Basel, Switzerland! http://www.sib.swiss/training/upcoming-training-events/training/gatk-workshop-lecture

HaplotypeCaller gave different results if include --dbsnp argument

jacobhsujacobhsu Hong KongPosts: 14Member
edited November 2013 in Ask the GATK team

Hi, I used following commands to call variants from exactly the same file by HaplotypeCaller. However, I got different results. The results from case1 are not consistent to case2. In some chromosomes, the numbers of variants in case 1 are more than case 2, but others are less. The differences are only a few variants in each chromosome. Any idea? I supposed they will be the same because just adding --dbsnp information.

======================================================================

${java7} -jar $GATK/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar \
-T HaplotypeCaller \
-R $reference_genome \
-I $input_file \
-L X \
--genotyping_mode DISCOVERY \
-stand_emit_conf 10 \
-stand_call_conf 50 \
-o vcf_out/chrX.vcf

=======================================================================

${java7} -jar $GATK/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar \
-T HaplotypeCaller \
-R $reference_genome \
-I $input_file \
-L X \
-nct 8 \
--dbsnp $dbsnp \
--genotyping_mode DISCOVERY \
-stand_emit_conf 10 \
-stand_call_conf 50 \
-o vcf_out/chrX.vcf

Best Answers

Answers

• ebanksebanks Broad InstitutePosts: 698Member, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator, Dev admin

The difference has nothing to do with the --dbsnp argument but rather -nct; any parallelization makes the calling non-deterministic.

Eric Banks, PhD -- Director, Data Sciences and Data Engineering, Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT

• jacobhsujacobhsu Hong KongPosts: 14Member

Do you mean if I conduct this analysis by case 2 again, I may get another different result ? In this scenario, how can we know which one is more reliable ?

• jacobhsujacobhsu Hong KongPosts: 14Member

Dear ebanks,

Thanks for your reply. Could you please explain more about why parallelization will make results different ?