The current GATK version is 3.7-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
GATK 3.7 is here! Be sure to read the Version Highlights and optionally the full Release Notes.
Register now for the upcoming GATK Best Practices workshop, Feb 20-22 in Leuven, Belgium. Open to all comers! More info and signup at http://bit.ly/2i4mGxz

Exclude moltype cDNA from dbSNP137

myoglumyoglu Member Posts: 39

Hi!
Since dbSNP (for humans) has a lot of variants one could question if actually are real, especially those from cDNA (mRNA), how can I ignore all SNPs in dbSNP 137 with the moltype "cDNA"?

Im asking because a lot of these SNPs may actually be RNA editing artifacts, correct?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• myoglumyoglu Member Posts: 39

Good, Ill try that one and post the solution when I figure it out.

I give up, I have to ask. I have opened the dbsnp_137.hg19.vcf file from your server and looked for anything that gives info about cDNA origin.. I cant find anything. I also tried to find other vcf from other places or something equal that had an info field about cDNA, no luck.

Any help on this?

I even emailed NCBI SNP admin, but with no answer.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Administrator, Dev Posts: 10,985 admin

Ah, from your question I had assumed you had a VCF with that annotation; we don't have it in ours. If there's nothing in dbSNP to that effect, then I'm afraid you're out of luck, sorry.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

Got it!

UCSC browser:

Go to tables -> group: variation and repeats, track: all SNPS (137) or the new 138..

There’s a field for each snp called molType. Use the list of SNPs that have a molType of "genomic" and a class of "single".

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Administrator, Dev Posts: 10,985 admin

Cool, thanks for reporting your findings.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

No problem! Glad I can help. Maybe in the future dbSNP will be more valid.