The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Register now for the upcoming GATK Best Practices workshop, Nov 7-8 at the Broad in Cambridge, MA. Open to all comers! More info and signup at

SelectVariants by DP >= 30

rcholicrcholic DenverPosts: 68Member

With the vcf output from GATK, I used SelectVariants to select variants with the following conditions:

java -Xmx8g -jar $CLASSPATH/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar \
-T SelectVariants \
-R GATK_ref/hg19.fasta \
-nt 5 \
-V ../GATK/VQSR/parallel_batch/Indels/exome.indels.filtered.vcf \
--excludeNonVariants \
-o ../GATK/VQSR/parallel_batch/Indels/exome.indels.filtered.selected.vcf \
-selectType INDEL \
-select "DP > 30.0"

In the output file exome.indels.filtered.selected.vcf, however, I find some variants have DP < 30, for example:

The bold highlighted 3 is the DP, does this mean SelectVariants did not work on my vcf?

Best Answer

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,569Administrator, Dev admin

Hi @rcholic,

I'm not entirely sure this will do it but can you try running again, this time writing the DP cutoff value as an integer (30) instead of a float (30.0). Internally depth should be represented as an integer, and I know JEXL is finicky about types...

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• rcholicrcholic DenverPosts: 68Member

thanks Geraldine for reply. With int 30 in the -select still produced something like this "1/1:0,1:1:3:34,3,0". I guess it does not work for me, I will have to use awk to filter it.

• pdexheimerpdexheimer Posts: 543Member, Dev ✭✭✭✭

I think it's filtering on the DP INFO field (ie, across the entire cohort) rather than the DP FORMAT field which is sample-specific