The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Register now for the upcoming GATK Best Practices workshop, Nov 7-8 at the Broad in Cambridge, MA. Open to all comers! More info and signup at

HaplotypeCaller and Coverage. I get ./. but I have coverage

NadiaNadia Posts: 13Member

Hi, I'm calling Variants with HaplotypeCaller in a population of 2 Parents and 7 F1-individuals. After read backed phasing I'm combining the vcf files of my genotypes with CombineVariants. In the outfile I very often find "./.". I thought this means there is no coverage at a certain position. But at many positions I do have good coverage. Why do I then get ./.? Moreover I used FastaAlternateReferenceMaker and created a new reference sequence including the variants from the parents. In that case, after I run HC and do the phasing and combine variants steps, I only get "./." at positions where there is really no coverage (as I can see in my mappings).

Best Answer

• NadiaNadia Posts: 13Member

oh yes of course! That makes sense! I will try both. Thanks a lot!

• NadiaNadia Posts: 13Member

when I run HC over all my sample together and then do Read-backed phasing, shall I merge all my mappings and do the phasing or rather not merge them? And if not, does it make a difference in which order I give them to the Read-backed phasing walker? Should it be the same order as the the order of the genotypes on the raw variants file (the HC output). In the past I have experienced that the phasing didn't work so well when I called all my samples together

• pdexheimerpdexheimer Posts: 543Member, Dev ✭✭✭✭

I haven't done much with phasing, but IIRC it only works on trios - which would mean you'll have to run it once for each offspring. I think you'll then have to merge the resulting VCFs (does CombineVariants respect phase? I have no idea). Since you'd effectively be splitting the VCF by sample before phasing, the order that you run them shouldn't matter at all