The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Register now for the upcoming GATK Best Practices workshop, Nov 7-8 at the Broad in Cambridge, MA. Open to all comers! More info and signup at

If I align my bams using bwa-mem, do I still need to do local indel realignment?

hovelsonhovelson Posts: 19Member
edited September 2013 in Ask the GATK team

I have ~2,000 whole-genome-sequencing bams that I need to move through an alignment/deduping/recalibration pipeline. I'll be using bwa-mem for the initial alignment, and I'm wondering if you would still recommend carrying out the local realignment step (downstream) for these bams, given bwa-mem does some local/gapped alignment on its own. This is an important question for our group because the local realignment (using RealignerTargetCreator & IndelRealigner) for these bams will take a significant amount of time / computational resources. If I want to call short indels using UnifiedGenotyper (rather than HC, due to number of samples), does bwa-mem for primary alignment reduce the need for local realignment downstream? Any feedback/thoughts would be much appreciated - thanks!

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,556Administrator, Dev admin

I'm not familiar enough with BWA mem to give you a definitive answer, but basically the key point is that traditionally mappers like BWA only align one read at a time, which is why realignment around indels is necessary to provide consistent mapping -- the indel realigner sees all the reads in a region, not just one. So it depends if BWA mem has that added capability. I'm not aware that it does, so I would still recommend doing indel realignment according to our best practices, but I could be wrong.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• hovelsonhovelson Posts: 19Member

Very helpful - thanks for the feedback!