The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Register now for the upcoming GATK Best Practices workshop, Nov 7-8 at the Broad in Cambridge, MA. Open to all comers! More info and signup at

Question about FS score

MadhuMadhu United StatesPosts: 10Member
edited September 2013 in Ask the GATK team

I have the following variant called by Unified Genotyper (GATK version : GenomeAnalysisTK-2.6-5) :

chr9 139413211 . T G 7.60 . AC=1;AF=0.500;AN=2;BaseQRankSum=-7.913;DP=296;Dels=0.00;FS=37.414;HaplotypeScore=22.3462;MLEAC=1;MLEAF=0.500;MQ=70.00;MQ0=0;MQRankSum=0.508;QD=0.03;ReadPosRankSum=-3.354 GT:AD:DP:GQ:PL 0/1:180,115:282:35:35,0,3884

The FS score is 37.414. But a closer look at the bam file indicates that the 115 reads supporting alternate allele G are all in + strand. Shouldn't the FS score be much higher for this variant? 113 reads reads supporting the reference allele T at this position are in + strand and 67 are in - strand.

Please help me understand if I am wrong about my understanding of FS score or if this is a bug.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,563Administrator, Dev admin

Hi Madhu,

Hmm, at first glance I would also expect a higher FS value. Can you tell me if this data has been compressed with ReduceReads, by any chance?

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• MadhuMadhu United StatesPosts: 10Member

Hi Geraldine,

Thanks for your reply. No I didn't use ReduceReads.
    My pipeline includes: Novoalign -> PICARD (mark and remove duplicates) -> GATK.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,563Administrator, Dev admin

OK, just checking. RR has had a few bugs that caused annotation weirdness before.

Here's a way to test what might be going on here. We recently added a new annotation (StrandBiasBySample) that is just the counts of the bases going into the FS calculation.  Could you use the Variant Annotator (with -A StrandBiasBySample) with the latest nightly build on your VCF at this one site? Then post the result here for us?

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• MadhuMadhu United StatesPosts: 10Member

Hi Geraldine,

Sure. I will try that and let you know.