The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Last chance to register for the GATK workshop next week in Basel, Switzerland! http://www.sib.swiss/training/upcoming-training-events/training/gatk-workshop-lecture

De novo quality scores

KathKath Posts: 43Member

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone uses GATK's SelectVariants walker to call de novo mutations (Mendelian violations) and, if so, what -mvq cut-off do they use? My data is exome sequencing with a large range of read depths - from mean target coverage of 14X to >50X.

Thanks,

Kath

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,469Administrator, Dev admin

Hi Kath,

Just to be clear about terminology, SelectVariants doesn't "call" anything, that's what UnifiedGenotyper and HaplotypeCaller do. SelectVariants allows you to select a subset of previously called variants that match certain criteria.

We don't currently have any specific recommendations on parameters for selecting de novo mutations. My personal approach would be to use a rather low mvq value, then apply VariantFiltration to discriminate between artifacts and real mutations of interest.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• KathKath Posts: 43Member

Thanks for your reply. I don't have much of a feel for what parameters people typically use with VariantFiltration for narrowing down to real variants. In the example you have AB<0.2 and MQ0>50 - is this typical criteria? I am using a multi-sample vcf. If a variant exceeds the thresholds in sample A but not sample B, will the likely genotype in sample B still be presented in the output vcf?

Kath

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,469Administrator, Dev admin

We provide some standard threshold values in the documentation; there's a section on that at the very end of the Best Practices document.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• KathKath Posts: 43Member

Thank you! Sorry I didn't notice that before.