The current GATK version is 3.7-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get notifications!

You can opt in to receive email notifications, for example when your questions get answered or when there are new announcements, by following the instructions given here.

Did you remember to?

1. Search using the upper-right search box, e.g. using the error message.
2. Try the latest version of tools.
3. Include tool and Java versions.
4. Tell us whether you are following GATK Best Practices.
5. Include relevant details, e.g. platform, DNA- or RNA-Seq, WES (+capture kit) or WGS (PCR-free or PCR+), paired- or single-end, read length, expected average coverage, somatic data, etc.
6. For tool errors, include the error stacktrace as well as the exact command.
7. For format issues, include the result of running ValidateSamFile for BAMs or ValidateVariants for VCFs.
8. For weird results, include an illustrative example, e.g. attach IGV screenshots according to Article#5484.
9. For a seeming variant that is uncalled, include results of following Article#1235.

Did we ask for a bug report?

Then follow instructions in Article#1894.

Formatting tip!

Wrap blocks of code, error messages and BAM/VCF snippets--especially content with hashes (#)--with lines with three backticks ( ``` ) each to make a code block as demonstrated here.

Jump to another community
Picard 2.9.4 is now available. Download and read release notes here.
GATK 3.7 is here! Be sure to read the Version Highlights and optionally the full Release Notes.

Error: Can't connect to window server - not enough permissions, when running "RealignerTargetCreator

rcholicrcholic DenverMember
edited July 2013 in Ask the GATK team

I started with BWA-MEM to do alignment, used Picard to process the .SAM files (converted to bam, reorder, addorreplacegroup, etc). The GATK version I'm using is version 2.5-2-gf57256b, I cannot run 2.6 because the server only has Java 6 and I cannot upgrade it to Java 7.

I got a huge stack of error message when I run this command line (RealignerTargetCrator):

java -Xmx2g -jar $CLASSPATH/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar \

-T RealignerTargetCreator \
-R /Volumes/files/Users/user1/GATK_ref/hg19.fasta \
-I sorted_Deduped_reorder_grp.bam \
-o ./GATK/forIndelRealigner.intervals>

The error messages are these (sorry, a lot): I don't know why GATK needs to connect to window server? what permission problem? I am using a Mac OS X built server (remote). Thank you

ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR stack trace

java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to window server - not enough permissions.
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1827)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1724)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1045)
at sun.security.action.LoadLibraryAction.run(LoadLibraryAction.java:50)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.awt.Toolkit.loadLibraries(Toolkit.java:1605)
at java.awt.Toolkit.(Toolkit.java:1627)
at sun.awt.AppContext$2.run(AppContext.java:240)
at sun.awt.AppContext$2.run(AppContext.java:226)
at sun.awt.AppContext.initMainAppContext(AppContext.java:226)
at sun.awt.AppContext.access$200(AppContext.java:112)
at sun.awt.AppContext$3.run(AppContext.java:306)
at sun.awt.AppContext.getAppContext(AppContext.java:287)
at com.sun.jmx.trace.Trace.out(Trace.java:180)
at com.sun.jmx.trace.Trace.isSelected(Trace.java:88)
at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.isTraceOn(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:1830)
at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerDynamicMBean(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:929)
at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerObject(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:916)
at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerMBean(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:312)
at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer$2.run(JmxMBeanServer.java:1195)
at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.initialize(JmxMBeanServer.java:1193)
at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.(JmxMBeanServer.java:225)
at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.(JmxMBeanServer.java:170)
at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.newMBeanServer(JmxMBeanServer.java:1401)
at javax.management.MBeanServerBuilder.newMBeanServer(MBeanServerBuilder.java:93)
at javax.management.MBeanServerFactory.newMBeanServer(MBeanServerFactory.java:311)
at javax.management.MBeanServerFactory.createMBeanServer(MBeanServerFactory.java:214)
at javax.management.MBeanServerFactory.createMBeanServer(MBeanServerFactory.java:175)
at sun.management.ManagementFactory.createPlatformMBeanServer(ManagementFactory.java:302)
at java.lang.management.ManagementFactory.getPlatformMBeanServer(ManagementFactory.java:504)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.executive.MicroScheduler.(MicroScheduler.java:222)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.executive.LinearMicroScheduler.(LinearMicroScheduler.java:70)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.executive.MicroScheduler.create(MicroScheduler.java:169)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.GenomeAnalysisEngine.createMicroscheduler(GenomeAnalysisEngine.java:443)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.GenomeAnalysisEngine.execute(GenomeAnalysisEngine.java:272)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineExecutable.execute(CommandLineExecutable.java:113)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:245)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:152)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineGATK.main(CommandLineGATK.java:91)

ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR A GATK RUNTIME ERROR has occurred (version 2.5-2-gf57256b):

Issue · Github
by Geraldine_VdAuwera

Issue Number
State
closed
Last Updated
Closed By
vdauwera

Answers

• rcholicrcholic DenverMember

I think I found the answer to my question. After I include the "-Djava.awt.headless=true" option before "-jar" in my above command, GATK runs perfectly fine on my remote Mac server. I post this in case other people may find it helpful in future. - cheers.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

Thanks for posting the solution to your issue, @rcholic -- and sorry for not responding earlier. Glad your issue is resolved.

• rcholicrcholic DenverMember

@Geraldine_VdAuwera said:
    Thanks for posting the solution to your issue, rcholic -- and sorry for not responding earlier. Glad your issue is resolved.

sure, you are welcome. Thank YOU GUYS for offering GATK. I think the code in GATK package may somehow triggers awt (accidentally?, might be a bug) during running, which is not possible to execute in SSH. I guess this is the main cause for my error messages posted in the original post. -cheers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

Yep, sounds like a bug -- we'll try to fix this issue in an upcoming version. But in the meantime it's good to have a workaround.

edited April 2015

@rcholic Just an update -- this has been lingering in the queue forever because versions that run on java 6 are deprecated, and it seems it doesn't happen with java 7, so we're now accepting that we just can't devote any effort to this at all, especially since you have a workaround and no work is blocked afaik. We're happy to take a patch from someone of course.