The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Last chance to register for the GATK workshop next week in Basel, Switzerland! http://www.sib.swiss/training/upcoming-training-events/training/gatk-workshop-lecture

Error: Can't connect to window server - not enough permissions, when running "RealignerTargetCreator

rcholicrcholic DenverPosts: 68Member
edited July 2013 in Ask the GATK team

I started with BWA-MEM to do alignment, used Picard to process the .SAM files (converted to bam, reorder, addorreplacegroup, etc). The GATK version I'm using is version 2.5-2-gf57256b, I cannot run 2.6 because the server only has Java 6 and I cannot upgrade it to Java 7.

I got a huge stack of error message when I run this command line (RealignerTargetCrator):

java -Xmx2g -jar $CLASSPATH/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar \

-T RealignerTargetCreator \
-R /Volumes/files/Users/user1/GATK_ref/hg19.fasta \
-I sorted_Deduped_reorder_grp.bam \
-o ./GATK/forIndelRealigner.intervals>

The error messages are these (sorry, a lot): I don't know why GATK needs to connect to window server? what permission problem? I am using a Mac OS X built server (remote). Thank you

ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR stack trace

java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to window server - not enough permissions.
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1827)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1724)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1045)
at sun.security.action.LoadLibraryAction.run(LoadLibraryAction.java:50)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.awt.Toolkit.loadLibraries(Toolkit.java:1605)
at java.awt.Toolkit.(Toolkit.java:1627)
at sun.awt.AppContext$2.run(AppContext.java:240)
at sun.awt.AppContext$2.run(AppContext.java:226)
at sun.awt.AppContext.initMainAppContext(AppContext.java:226)
at sun.awt.AppContext.access$200(AppContext.java:112)
at sun.awt.AppContext$3.run(AppContext.java:306)
at sun.awt.AppContext.getAppContext(AppContext.java:287)
at com.sun.jmx.trace.Trace.out(Trace.java:180)
at com.sun.jmx.trace.Trace.isSelected(Trace.java:88)
at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.isTraceOn(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:1830)
at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerDynamicMBean(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:929)
at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerObject(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:916)
at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerMBean(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:312)
at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer$2.run(JmxMBeanServer.java:1195)
at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.initialize(JmxMBeanServer.java:1193)
at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.(JmxMBeanServer.java:225)
at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.(JmxMBeanServer.java:170)
at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.newMBeanServer(JmxMBeanServer.java:1401)
at javax.management.MBeanServerBuilder.newMBeanServer(MBeanServerBuilder.java:93)
at javax.management.MBeanServerFactory.newMBeanServer(MBeanServerFactory.java:311)
at javax.management.MBeanServerFactory.createMBeanServer(MBeanServerFactory.java:214)
at javax.management.MBeanServerFactory.createMBeanServer(MBeanServerFactory.java:175)
at sun.management.ManagementFactory.createPlatformMBeanServer(ManagementFactory.java:302)
at java.lang.management.ManagementFactory.getPlatformMBeanServer(ManagementFactory.java:504)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.executive.MicroScheduler.(MicroScheduler.java:222)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.executive.LinearMicroScheduler.(LinearMicroScheduler.java:70)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.executive.MicroScheduler.create(MicroScheduler.java:169)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.GenomeAnalysisEngine.createMicroscheduler(GenomeAnalysisEngine.java:443)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.GenomeAnalysisEngine.execute(GenomeAnalysisEngine.java:272)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineExecutable.execute(CommandLineExecutable.java:113)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:245)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:152)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineGATK.main(CommandLineGATK.java:91)

ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR A GATK RUNTIME ERROR has occurred (version 2.5-2-gf57256b):

Issue · Github
by Geraldine_VdAuwera

Issue Number
State
closed
Last Updated
Closed By
vdauwera

Answers

• rcholicrcholic DenverPosts: 68Member

I think I found the answer to my question. After I include the "-Djava.awt.headless=true" option before "-jar" in my above command, GATK runs perfectly fine on my remote Mac server. I post this in case other people may find it helpful in future. - cheers.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,469Administrator, Dev admin

Thanks for posting the solution to your issue, @rcholic -- and sorry for not responding earlier. Glad your issue is resolved.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• rcholicrcholic DenverPosts: 68Member

@Geraldine_VdAuwera said:
    Thanks for posting the solution to your issue, rcholic -- and sorry for not responding earlier. Glad your issue is resolved.

sure, you are welcome. Thank YOU GUYS for offering GATK. I think the code in GATK package may somehow triggers awt (accidentally?, might be a bug) during running, which is not possible to execute in SSH. I guess this is the main cause for my error messages posted in the original post. -cheers

Yep, sounds like a bug -- we'll try to fix this issue in an upcoming version. But in the meantime it's good to have a workaround.

edited April 2015

@rcholic Just an update -- this has been lingering in the queue forever because versions that run on java 6 are deprecated, and it seems it doesn't happen with java 7, so we're now accepting that we just can't devote any effort to this at all, especially since you have a workaround and no work is blocked afaik. We're happy to take a patch from someone of course.