The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Last chance to register for the GATK workshop next week in Basel, Switzerland! http://www.sib.swiss/training/upcoming-training-events/training/gatk-workshop-lecture

SelectVariants and discordance

nikmalnikmal Posts: 23Member

Greetings GATK team!

I hope I'm not making a duplicate question here, but I couldn't find anything regarding this in the forum.

Basically, what I want to do is to use SelectVariants to filter against another call set, but I do not want to be as strict as using -discordance (i.e. 100% discordance rate between the two call sets). I want to say for example: "filter call set A against variants that occur in >90% of call set B".

Is there a way to do this with JEXL expressions maybe?

Kind regards

Best Answer

Answers

• nikmalnikmal Posts: 23Member
    edited May 2013

@Geraldine_VdAuwera said:
    Hi there, sorry to get to your question so late.

I want to say that this should be possible to do with JEXL but off the top of my head I can't think of a straightforward way to do this in a single step. Maybe instead, do a first round of selecting variants that occur above your desired threshold in call set B, then filter call set A using discordance vs. that subset.

If you come up (maybe already done so) with a good way to do this please share your solution with the community, as I'm sure others will be interested. Eventually we'd like to put together a "cookbook" of good variant selection and filtering solutions.

Hi Geraldine,

No problem, in fact I already solved the problem like you described. I wrote a simple script in Python that counts the occurrence of a variant and keeps it according to a specified cutoff. After that, I used SelectVariants with --discordance vs the output from the script (i.e. the subset of variants that occur in max. X% of the population).

I will make the script available as soon as I can, in case someone is interested.

EDIT:

Here is a link to the script, feel free to modify it as you wish: https://gist.github.com/keyoke1337/5676846

Post edited by nikmal on
  • Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,469Administrator, Dev admin

Thanks for sharing your solution!

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD