The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Last chance to register for the GATK workshop next week in Basel, Switzerland! http://www.sib.swiss/training/upcoming-training-events/training/gatk-workshop-lecture

bam is malformed depthofcoverage

remimaglioneremimaglione Posts: 3Member
edited May 2013 in Ask the GATK team

Hello,

i have spend many hours trying to run GATK depthofcoverage but it never works.
last try: -T DepthOfCoverage -R /home/remi/Analyse/CNV/ERR125905/bam/Chloroplastgenomebarley.fa -I /home/remi/Analyse/CNV/ERR125905/bam/ERfiltre.bam -L /home/remi/Analyse/CNV/ERR125905/bam/ERfiltre.bed -o /home/remi/Analyse/CNV/FishingCNV_1.5.3/out/ERfiltre.bam.coverage --minMappingQuality 15 --minBaseQuality 10 --omitDepthOutputAtEachBase --logging_level INFO --summaryCoverageThreshold 5 --summaryCoverageThreshold 7 --summaryCoverageThreshold 10 --summaryCoverageThreshold 15 --summaryCoverageThreshold 20 --summaryCoverageThreshold 30 --summaryCoverageThreshold 50

My BAM header seem to be malformed.

ERROR MESSAGE: SAM/BAM file /home/remi/Analyse/CNV/ERR125905/bam/ERfiltre.bam is malformed: SAM file doesn't have any read groups defined in the header. The GATK no longer supports SAM files without read groups

here is the 1rst line of the header:

`@SQ SN:Chloroplastgenomebarley LN:136462

@PG ID:bwa PN:bwa VN:0.5.9-r16
ERR125905.35 99 Chloroplastgenomebarley 69543 29 101M = 69854 412 TTTGATCCCTCTGATCCTGTTCTGGATCCAATGTGGAGACAAGGTATGTTCGTAATTCCCTTCATGACTCGTTTAGGAATAACGGATCCTTGGGGTGGTTG D-:D?BDDDDCC-?ADCBBBDDDDD:BDD= :6 C-4<9@62@@<;:?=B??B=DC28=B&?:AA:4
@ 66DD@-@DDD?B::@-CA:5?:ADD?ADBB??`

I Have search in the forum and doc about it. I have try to reorder my header with picard:

`@HD VN:1.4 SO:unsorted

@SQ SN:Chloroplastgenomebarley LN:136462 UR:file:/home/remi/Analyse/REFGEN/Chloroplastgenomebarley.fa M5:7a7b36ef01cc1a2af1c8451ca3800f93
@PG ID:bwa PN:bwa VN:0.5.9-r16
ERR125905.35 99 Chloroplastgenomebarley 69543 29 101M = 69854 412 TTTGATCCCTCTGATCCTGTTCTGGATCCAATGTGGAGACAAGGTATGTTCGTAATTCCCTTCATGACTCGTTTAGGAATAACGGATCCTTGGGGTGGTTG D-:D?BDDDDCC-?ADCBBBDDDDD:BDD= :6 C-4<9@62@@<;:?=B??B=DC28=B&?:AA:4
@ 66DD@-@DDD?B::@-CA:5?:ADD?ADBB??
`
but no more change.

Someone can help me please ?

Regards,
Remi

`

Answers

• CarneiroCarneiro Posts: 274Administrator, Dev admin

You need to add a read group tag to your BAM to use it with the GATK. During BWA alignment (which you're using a very old version, btw) you could have added it with the -R option. Now you can still use Picard Tools to add a read group to your bam file. Without a Read Group tag, no GATK tool will run on your bam.

• remimaglioneremimaglione Posts: 3Member

thank you for your reply,
    you're right, I did not use the-R option on my alignment with BWA.
    I'll go back on it later to tell you if all goes well.

• remimaglioneremimaglione Posts: 3Member
    edited May 2013

After a new alignment, i have had manualy the header with picard tools in my SAM (after read filter and before SAM to BAM conversion). I have try a CountRead in order to test if GATK can run my new BAM... and it works FINE. I will try to do a depthOfcoverage and tell later if all goes well.