The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Register now for the upcoming GATK Best Practices workshop, Nov 7-8 at the Broad in Cambridge, MA. Open to all comers! More info and signup at

-L option file formats

tommycarstensentommycarstensen United KingdomPosts: 400Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in Ask the GATK team

I got this error message, when trying to use a file to specify at which positions to emit variants:

ERROR MESSAGE: Couldn't read file /lustre/scratch109/sanger/tc9/agv/wgs/pipeline/union4x.positions because The interval file /lustre/scratch109/sanger/tc9/agv/wgs/pipeline/union4x.positions does not have one of the supported extensions (.bed, .list, .picard, .interval_list, or .intervals). Please rename your file with the appropriate extension.
Is there a GATK page describing those 5 file formats? Some of them are unknown to me; e.g. .list.

I asked my question here, but please ignore it:

Thanks a lot.

Also, the error message does not mention support for vcf files, but the documentation does. Are vcf files supported?

Best Answer

• tommycarstensentommycarstensen United KingdomPosts: 400Member ✭✭✭

Thanks for answering my question. Sorry for double posting. Sorry for asking a question that was already answered on the website. Thank you.

• tommycarstensentommycarstensen United KingdomPosts: 400Member ✭✭✭

Just in case others are in doubt about the file format, this is what worked for me (.interval_list):