The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Register now for the upcoming GATK Best Practices workshop, Nov 7-8 at the Broad in Cambridge, MA. Open to all comers! More info and signup at

ReadBackedPhasing of trio with 3 bams

sboylesboyle Bay Area, CAPosts: 28Member

I have applied PhaseByTransmission on a trio with a ped file and now want to run ReadBackedPhasing. However, each of the trio variant calls were called from a different BAM file (as each was from a different individual). In the ReadBackedPhasing documentation it only mentions using the program with a single bam. Does this mean that I need to merge the bams for each of the three individuals into a single bam? If so, do you have any suggested programs that work well with GATK?

Best Answer

• pdexheimerpdexheimer Posts: 543Member, Dev ✭✭✭✭

No, the documentation is just presenting the simplest case. Most if not all GATK tools that accept bam files will take any number - just specify -I multiple times or give it a text file listing all the BAMs

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,569Administrator, Dev admin

And once more, @pdexheimer swoops in with a helpful answer before I notice :)

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• pdexheimerpdexheimer Posts: 543Member, Dev ✭✭✭✭

Just beat you to the post button, that's all. @sboyle, don't forget to include the -respectPhaseInInput argument