The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Last chance to register for the GATK workshop next week in Basel, Switzerland! http://www.sib.swiss/training/upcoming-training-events/training/gatk-workshop-lecture

Local reference for UG SNP-calling

BlueBlue Posts: 48Member
edited March 2013 in Ask the GATK team

The Unified Genotyper calls SNPs relative to the specified, publicly-available reference assembly.

How can I call SNPs (in many samples, with UG) relative to an in-house individual, which I have sequenced at high-coverage?

My current solution is to perform a de novo assembly on the in-house reference individual using e.g. Velvet, and then simply use the fasta as the reference for UG.

Can the publicly-available reference assembly still be useful here for speeding up the mapping and filling-in missing parts ?

My organism is Drosophila melanogaster.

Best Answer

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,468Administrator, Dev admin
    Answer ✓

It sounds like you want to assemble your in house reference genome using the public reference genome as a scaffold rather than doing it entirely de novo.

Genome assembly isn't our department so I can't advise you on this, but I'd recommend asking somewhere like SeqAnswers what is the best aligner to do this.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,468Administrator, Dev admin
    Answer ✓

It sounds like you want to assemble your in house reference genome using the public reference genome as a scaffold rather than doing it entirely de novo.

Genome assembly isn't our department so I can't advise you on this, but I'd recommend asking somewhere like SeqAnswers what is the best aligner to do this.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD