The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Register now for the upcoming GATK Best Practices workshop, Nov 7-8 at the Broad in Cambridge, MA. Open to all comers! More info and signup at

GATK-Snp calling

JayceJayce Posts: 9Member

can anyone help to advice if splitting the bam files Versus splitting the -L region, which one could speed up faster? asssume that i have 500 bam files, will splitting the bam files to 22 different chromosomes will increase the speed further as compare to splitting the -L region (intervals)? Can anyone help to advice or probably had experienced it before. thank you.

Best Answer

• JayceJayce Posts: 9Member

hi, i was referring to Unified Genotyper (Snp Calling) in GATK.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,569Administrator, Dev admin

Have a look at these documents, which cover the available parallelism modes:

Note that the -L argument is meant to specify target intervals if you are working with exome data.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

Thanks Geraldine for your answer,i understand that parellism(multi-threading) -nt do help. but i just want to confirm if the speed is equivalent? (with same -nt settings) whether splitting the -L region is equivalent to splitting the bam file?i really need this answer on top of -nt multi-threading to speed up my very huge sample sizes. i just dont want to spend time in splitting the bam file if it is equivalant (speed wise) to splitting the -L interval regions. thank you for help and advice:)

edited March 2013

thank you for your clear advice. thank you very much :)