The current GATK version is 3.7-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you remember to?

1. Search using the upper-right search box, e.g. using the error message.
2. Try the latest version of tools.
3. Include tool and Java versions.
4. Tell us whether you are following GATK Best Practices.
5. Include relevant details, e.g. platform, DNA- or RNA-Seq, WES (+capture kit) or WGS (PCR-free or PCR+), paired- or single-end, read length, expected average coverage, somatic data, etc.
6. For tool errors, include the error stacktrace as well as the exact command.
7. For format issues, include the result of running ValidateSamFile for BAMs or ValidateVariants for VCFs.
8. For weird results, include an illustrative example, e.g. attach IGV screenshots according to Article#5484.
9. For a seeming variant that is uncalled, include results of following Article#1235.

Did we ask for a bug report?

Then follow instructions in Article#1894.

Formatting tip!

Surround blocks of code, error messages and BAM/VCF snippets--especially content with hashes (#)--with lines with three backticks ( ``` ) each to make a code block.
Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Picard 2.9.0 is now available. Download and read release notes here.
GATK 3.7 is here! Be sure to read the Version Highlights and optionally the full Release Notes.

UnifiedGenotyper- problem when calling in chunks on reduced BAMs

totatota Member Posts: 3

Hello,

Im trying to call variants using UnifiedGenotyper on ca 450 reduced bams in 100000 bp chunks. It works fine for some of the chunks, but for others I get the following error message:

ERROR MESSAGE: SAM/BAM nameOfBam.bam is malformed: Unexpected compressed block length: 1

Can anyone explain to me why there is a problem with a specific bam file when I call on for example chunk chr20:25400000-25500000 but not when I call on chunk chr20:10000000-10100000?

Thank you,
Tota

Best Answers

Answers

• totatota Member Posts: 3

Thanks for your reply.

I did generate the BAM using GATK -T ReduceReads.
    When I try to regenerate the index file using "samtools index", I get this message before the program terminates:

$ samtools index reduced.bam
    bam_index_core] truncated file? Continue anyway. (-4)

I'm surprised by this error message since it looks like the BAM is complete according to its LOG, which ends in these 4 lines:

INFO 02:20:06,640 TraversalEngine - Total runtime 36955.17 secs, 615.92 min, 10.27 hours
    INFO 02:20:06,640 TraversalEngine - 4801933 reads were filtered out during traversal out of 71057279 total (6.76%)
    INFO 02:20:06,640 TraversalEngine - -> 3830446 reads (5.39% of total) failing DuplicateReadFilter
    INFO 02:20:06,640 TraversalEngine - -> 971487 reads (1.37% of total) failing UnmappedReadFilter

Also, the BAM contains the EOF character indicating its not truncated. Any suggestions on how to solve this?

Thanks,
    Tota