The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Register now for the upcoming GATK Best Practices workshop, Nov 7-8 at the Broad in Cambridge, MA. Open to all comers! More info and signup at

dcittarodcittaro Posts: 31Member

Hi all, I'm running VariantRecalibrator on a SNP set (47 exomes) and I get this error:

##### ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
##### ERROR A USER ERROR has occurred (version 2.2-3-gde33222): 
##### ERROR The invalid arguments or inputs must be corrected before the GATK can proceed
##### ERROR Please do not post this error to the GATK forum
##### ERROR
##### ERROR See the documentation (rerun with -h) for this tool to view allowable command-line arguments.
##### ERROR Visit our website and forum for extensive documentation and answers to 
##### ERROR commonly asked questions
##### ERROR
##### ERROR MESSAGE: NaN LOD value assigned. Clustering with this few variants and these annotations is unsafe. Please consider raising the number of variants used to train the negative model (via --percentBadVariants 0.05, for example) or lowering the maximum number of Gaussians to use in the model (via --maxGaussians 4, for example)
##### ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is the command line:

java  -Xmx32g -jar /lustre1/tools/bin/GenomeAnalysisTK-2.2-3.jar \
    -T VariantRecalibrator \
    -R /lustre1/genomes/hg19/fa/hg19.fa \
    -input /lustre1/workspace/Ferrari/Carrera/Analysis/UG/bpd_ug.SNP.vcf \
    -resource:hapmap,VCF,known=false,training=true,truth=true,prior=15.0 /lustre1/genomes/hg19/annotation/hapmap_3.3.hg19.sites.vcf.gz \
    -resource:omni,VCF,known=false,training=true,truth=false,prior=12.0 /lustre1/genomes/hg19/annotation/1000G_omni2.5.hg19.sites.vcf.gz \
    -resource:dbsnp,VCF,known=true,training=false,truth=false,prior=6.0 /lustre1/genomes/hg19/annotation/dbSNP-137.chr.vcf -an QD \
    -an HaplotypeScore \
    -an MQRankSum \
    -an ReadPosRankSum \
    -an FS \
    -an MQ \
    -an DP \
    -an QD \
    -an InbreedingCoeff \
    -mode SNP \
    -recalFile /lustre2/scratch/Carrera/Analysis2/ \
    -tranchesFile /lustre2/scratch/Carrera/Analysis2/ \
    -rscriptFile /lustre2/scratch/Carrera/Analysis2/ \
    --maxGaussians 6

I've already tried to decrease the --maxGaussians option to 4, I've also added --percentBad option (setting it up to 0.12, as for INDEL) but I still get the error.
I've added the option -debug to see what's happening, but apparently this has been removed from GATK-2.2.
Any help is appreciated...

Best Answer

• dcittarodcittaro Posts: 31Member

Apparently the error vanishes if I remove -an QD

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,557Administrator, Dev admin
    Answer ✓

Hmm, that might be a bug in the error reporting, we'll check it out. Thanks for the update.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• rpoplinrpoplin Posts: 122Dev ✭✭✭
    edited November 2012

Hi there,

Can you please post the full log output from this run? There is some useful information in there about the annotation distributions, &c. that will help us narrow down any issues.

• dcittarodcittaro Posts: 31Member

I realized that the first code had two entries for -an QD, which I believe was the cause of the whole thing...

Good catch, I didn't notice that. We still need to fix the error handling though, since the program clearly isn't handling the problem correctly.

• LaviniaLavinia Posts: 37Member

This error also appears if you include some annotations with -an that VQSR doesn't like, e.g. I ran the command with lots of annotations, failed with the above error, re-ran with just -an BaseQRankSum -an DP -an FS -an HaplotypeScore -an MQ -an MQRankSum -an QD -an ReadPosRankSum = success.

Hmm, can you be more specific about which annotations were involved in the failure?

• LaviniaLavinia Posts: 37Member

I stuck most of them in, so -an AC -an AF etc, it was a bit of a case of 'suck it and see' to get a better feel for the results, so probably not the ideal thing to do but it did give me the same error as above, cheers.