The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Register now for the upcoming GATK Best Practices workshop, Nov 7-8 at the Broad in Cambridge, MA. Open to all comers! More info and signup at

Weird multi-sample [119] exome VQSR tranche plot

rkanwarrkanwar Posts: 2Member
edited January 2013 in Ask the GATK team

I am trying to run GATK on a sample of 119 exomes. I followed the GATK guidelines to process the fastq files. I used the following parameters to call the UnifiedGenotyper and VQSR [for SNPs]:

-T UnifiedGenotyper 
--output_mode EMIT_VARIANTS_ONLY 
--min_base_quality_score 30 
--max_alternate_alleles 5 
-glm SNP 

-resource:hapmap,known=false,training=true,truth=true,prior=15.0 /media/transcription/cipn/ 
-resource:omni,known=false,training=true,truth=false,prior=12.0 /media/transcription/cipn/ 
-resource:dbsnp,known=true,training=false,truth=false,prior=6.0 /media/transcription/cipn/ 
-an QD -an HaplotypeScore -an MQRankSum -an ReadPosRankSum -an FS -an MQ -an InbreedingCoeff 
-mode SNP 

I get a tranche plot, which does not look OK. The "Number of Novel Variants [1000s]" goes from -400 to 800 and the Ti/Tv ratio varies from 0.633 to 0.782 [the attach file link is not working for me and am unable to upload the plot]. Any suggestion to rectify this would be very helpful !

Post edited by Geraldine_VdAuwera on

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,568Administrator, Dev admin

Hi Rahul,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. The "attach a file" function is temporarily unavailable, but if you upload a copy of your plot to our FTP server (see here), we'll have a look at it.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• dcittarodcittaro Posts: 31Member
    edited June 2013

Actually the same happens to me... take a look to this tranche plot, made for ~60 exomes (GATK 2.4.9)... how should I interpret it?

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,568Administrator, Dev admin

Hi @dcittaro,

Those do look bad... Can you tell me if those are whole-exomes, or if they're only partial, ie subsets of targets? Also, just checking, but those are only run on SNPs, right? not indels?

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD