The current GATK version is 3.7-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
GATK 3.7 is here! Be sure to read the Version Highlights and optionally the full Release Notes.
Register now for the upcoming GATK Best Practices workshop, Feb 20-22 in Leuven, Belgium. Open to all comers! More info and signup at http://bit.ly/2i4mGxz

ReduceReads and scatter/gather

evakoeevakoe Member Posts: 26
edited September 2012 in Ask the GATK team

Hallo everyone,
I have a question about ReduceReads when using scatter/gather. In the argument details of ReduceReads you write for the parameter -nocmp_names:
"... If you scatter/gather there is no guarantee that read name uniqueness will be maintained -- in this case we recommend not compressing."

Do you mean, that if I use scatter/gather, I should use ReduceReads with the -nocmp_names option so that the read names will not be compressed
OR
do you mean that I should not use ReduceReads at all when scatter/gathering.

I assume the first is meant, I just wanted to make sure. Thank you for your time and effort.
Eva

Post edited by Geraldine_VdAuwera on

Best Answer

• Mark_DePristoMark_DePristo Administrator, Dev Posts: 153 admin
    Answer ✓

Yes, don't compress read names when running ReduceReads scatter/gathered across chromosomes, of you'll end up with many reads with the same read name (bad for the SAM spec).

--
    Mark A. DePristo, Ph.D.
    Co-Director, Medical and Population Genetics
    Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard

Answers