The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.
Last chance to register for the GATK workshop next week in Basel, Switzerland! http://www.sib.swiss/training/upcoming-training-events/training/gatk-workshop-lecture

Error when running UG: Unexpected base in allele bases

akiezunakiezun Cambridge, MAPosts: 22Member, Dev
edited August 2012 in Ask the GATK team

Hi,
I got the following error when running UG (on unstable from 2012/08/15, v2.0-222-gc178076)

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unexpected base in allele bases 'T^@'
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.variantcontext.Allele.<init>(Allele.java:115)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.variantcontext.Allele.create(Allele.java:167)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.variantcontext.Allele.create(Allele.java:272)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.annotator.DepthPerAlleleBySample.annotateIndel(DepthPerAlleleBySample.java:91)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.annotator.DepthPerAlleleBySample.annotate(DepthPerAlleleBySample.java:52)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.annotator.VariantAnnotatorEngine.annotateGenotypes(VariantAnnotatorEngine.java:282)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.annotator.VariantAnnotatorEngine.annotateContext(VariantAnnotatorEngine.java:201)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.genotyper.UnifiedGenotyperEngine.calculateGenotypes(UnifiedGenotyperEngine.java:499)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.genotyper.UnifiedGenotyperEngine.calculateLikelihoodsAndGenotypes(UnifiedGenotyperEngine.java:192)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.genotyper.UnifiedGenotyper.map(UnifiedGenotyper.java:354)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.genotyper.UnifiedGenotyper.map(UnifiedGenotyper.java:119)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.traversals.TraverseLoci.traverse(TraverseLoci.java:65)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.traversals.TraverseLoci.traverse(TraverseLoci.java:18)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.executive.LinearMicroScheduler.execute(LinearMicroScheduler.java:62)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.GenomeAnalysisEngine.execute(GenomeAnalysisEngine.java:269)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineExecutable.execute(CommandLineExecutable.java:113)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:236)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:146)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineGATK.main(CommandLineGATK.java:93)
##### ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
##### ERROR A GATK RUNTIME ERROR has occurred (version 2.0-222-gc178076):

The arguments were something like this (modified here for readability)
Program Args: -T UnifiedGenotyper -I My.bam.list -L scatter.intervals -R /seq/references/Homo_sapiens_assembly19/v1/Homo_sapiens_assembly19.fasta -dcov 60 -glm BOTH -capMaxAltAllelesForIndels -D /humgen/gsa-pipeline/resources/b37/v4/dbsnp_135.b37.vcf -o My.unfiltered.vcf

I put the bams and actual logs etc on the local disk at the Broad:
/xchip/cga2/akiezun/forSharing/UnexpectedBaseErrorI

I also saw the same error (modulo the precise message) on many of my other UG runs that all use the same build 2.0-222-gc178076

Best Answer

Answers

• ebanksebanks Broad InstitutePosts: 698Member, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator, Dev admin

Thanks for reporting this Adam. It doesn't seem like this error should be possible with a well-formed bam, but I'd be happy to look into it. Unfortunately, I don't have read access to any of the bams in your bam list, so I'll need a little help from you. Can you please isolate the issue to small interval and then run PrintReads on that interval with your bam list, printing out to a location that I can read? I'll then take it from there.
    Thanks!

Eric Banks, PhD -- Director, Data Sciences and Data Engineering, Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT

• akiezunakiezun Cambridge, MAPosts: 22Member, Dev

Thanks for your response. I just sent the small testcase by email.

./adam

• bwubbbwubb Posts: 51Member

Hi, just wanted to say I got a similar error trying to SomaticIndelCaller with GATK v2.1-5

##### ERROR stack trace 
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unexpected base in allele bases '65C'
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.variantcontext.Allele.<init>(Allele.java:115)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.variantcontext.Allele.create(Allele.java:167)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.variantcontext.Allele.create(Allele.java:272)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.indels.SomaticIndelDetector.fillAlleleList(SomaticIndelDetector.java:1184)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.indels.SomaticIndelDetector.printVCFLine(SomaticIndelDetector.java:1232)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.indels.SomaticIndelDetector.emit_somatic(SomaticIndelDetector.java:979)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.indels.SomaticIndelDetector.map(SomaticIndelDetector.java:580)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.indels.SomaticIndelDetector.map(SomaticIndelDetector.java:131)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.traversals.TraverseReads.traverse(TraverseReads.java:104)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.traversals.TraverseReads.traverse(TraverseReads.java:52)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.executive.LinearMicroScheduler.execute(LinearMicroScheduler.java:71)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.GenomeAnalysisEngine.execute(GenomeAnalysisEngine.java:265)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineExecutable.execute(CommandLineExecutable.java:113)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:236)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:146)
        at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineGATK.main(CommandLineGATK.java:93)
    ##### ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ##### ERROR A GATK RUNTIME ERROR has occurred (version 2.1-5-gf3daab0):

My bam was generated through v3 Best Practices, not sure if that is a contributing factor.

Thank you