The current GATK version is 3.6-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla. Made with Bootstrap.

-rf BadCigar

newbie16newbie16 Posts: 39Member
edited August 2012 in Ask the GATK team

Hello,

I have a bam file where few reads have CIGAR strings that start with Deletions. For example: 440H1D33M1I1D33M.
I am trying to execute BaseRecalibrator (2.0 beta) on this file. However, I see an error below:

"##### ERROR MESSAGE: SAM/BAM file SAMFileReader{/home/datarig/CGP/GatkAnalysis/NG_2012_05_10_v2.6/WithGATK2.0/with_SamV2/NG_R1/test.ordered.sorted.realigned.bam} is malformed: Read starting with de
letion. Cigar: 440H1D33M1I1D33M. This is an indication of a malformed file, but the SAM spec allows reads starting in deletion. If you are sure you want to use this read, re-run your analysis with
the extra option: -rf BadCigar"

However if I use the -rf BadCigar filter, I still get the same error. The command I used is pasted below.

"java -Xmx4g -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T BaseRecalibrator -I test.bam -R ucsc.hg19.fasta -knownSites dbsnp_135.hg19.vcf -o recal_data.grp -rf BadCigar"

Could you please let me know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 10,469Administrator, Dev admin
    Answer ✓

Hi there,

You're not doing anything wrong, this is an issue that the tool is not handling properly. We'll fix it asap and post a notice in this thread when it's done.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• ebanksebanks Broad InstitutePosts: 698Member, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator, Dev admin
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the feedback. I'll update the error message now.

Eric Banks, PhD -- Director, Data Sciences and Data Engineering, Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT

Answers

Answer ✓

Hi there,

You're not doing anything wrong, this is an issue that the tool is not handling properly. We'll fix it asap and post a notice in this thread when it's done.

• newbie16newbie16 Posts: 39Member

Thanks !
    Also, if I may make a suggestion, the error I get in its message says:
    " If you are sure you want to use this read, re-run your analysis with the extra option: -rf BadCigar" which indicates that the filter will somehow "use" the bad reads and INCLUDE them during analysis. However, the documentation for -rf Badcigar says that this option will DISCARD bad reads. This is conflicting information. could this please be modified as well.

• ebanksebanks Broad InstitutePosts: 698Member, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator, Dev admin
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the feedback. I'll update the error message now.

Eric Banks, PhD -- Director, Data Sciences and Data Engineering, Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT

• maquezaihoumaquezaihou Posts: 10Member

I had the same error! Adding "-rf BadCigar" doesn't help. Any suggestions?

Hi there,

What version of GATK are you using?

• maquezaihoumaquezaihou Posts: 10Member

Hi Geraldinne,
    I am using the latest version. In fact, I am dealing with RNA-seq data. I followed the best practice, everything went well except unifiedgenotyper. I always got the error message "bad cigar", even if I added '-rf BadCigar'. I don't know what should I do. Do you have any suggestion?
    Thank you in advance!

You should validate your bam file first. You can also check a set of reads and see if they all have bad cigar problems, or if it's just a subset.

• blueskypyblueskypy Posts: 261Member ✭✭

I'm working on exome seq and using GATK version 2.7-2-g6bda569 and still get the same error in HC!

@blueskypy, have you validated your files?

• alejandraalejandra spainPosts: 52Member

so the -rf BadCigar somehow "use" the bad reads and INCLUDE them during analysis or discards the bad reads?
    Which one is the correct?

No, if you use that flag the engine will filter out those reads so they will not be used in analysis.