Meetings, workshops, conferences, oh my! (carbon footprint)

Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 6,462Administrator, GATK Developer admin
edited August 28 in Announcements

Ladies, gentlemen and everyone else (this is a judgment-free zone), it's officially summertime in the norther hemisphere. Depending on who and where you are, this can mean no more classes, no more exams, and more quality time with your loved ones -- or extra expense getting someone to keep your offspring out of your way (hello summer camp). It is that hallowed time of year when academics put down the burdens of teaching and administrative duties and can finally get some science done. For many, it also means conference season, e.g. meeting up in Spain with a bunch of colleagues to argue about obscure methodological details over many a glass of tinto de verano. It's a hard, hard life.

A group of us just got back from sunny Belgium* where we held a GATK workshop at the invitation of the Royal Institute for Natural Sciences in Brussels. Now we're looking ahead to the next big dates on the horizon, and I thought I'd share them here in case some of you can join us. Or in case you would like to invite us over to give talks or workshops... (seriously, private-message me if you're interested in hosting a GATK workshop).

* This is not irony, it was really beautiful the whole time. Until the two non-Belgians left, and then boom! Downpour for three days. Typical.

As you can see below, our dance card is all clear for the summer itself but starting September it gets pretty busy.

- Genome Science 2014 -- Oxford, UK, September 1-3

I will be attending the Genome Science meeting in Oxford, UK, and giving a talk in the Bioinformatics Infrastructure session.

- CppCon -- Bellevue, WA, US, September 7-12

Mauricio Carneiro and David Roazen will be attending this C++ development conference, and Mauricio will be presenting a talk titled "Gamgee: A C++14 library for genomics data processing and analysis". What this means for GATK-based development, well... happy speculating :)

- GATK Best Practices workshop -- Phildadelphia, PA, US, late September

The Center for Genetics and Complex Traits (CGACT) and the Institute for Biomedical Informatics (IBI) of the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine are hosting our workshop. The workshop crew will consist of Eric Banks, Sheila Chandran and myself. See this announcement for more details.

- ASHG 2014 -- San Diego, US, October 18-22

Ami Levy-Moonshine will be attending the ASHG meeting in San Diego, California, and giving a compressed version of our Best Practices workshop on Tuesday 10/21 (separate registration required). Ami will also represent us in the iSeqTools workshop on cloud-based analysis on Monday10/20.

- GATK Best Practices workshop -- Cambridge, MA, US, late October/ early November

Details to be announced.

This list will be updated with any new events up to December 2014.

Post edited by Geraldine_VdAuwera on

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

Comments