(howto) Install and run Oncotator for the first time

Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 8,271Administrator, GATK Dev admin
edited February 23 in Oncotator Documentation

1. Download the Oncotator package, the default datasources package, and (recommended) transcript override list from the Downloads page

Please note: Broadies who wish to run the installed Oncotator on the Broad cluster should follow the instructions here, instead of this page

Oncotator Download

Download

Default Datasource Corpus Download (January 26, 2015)

Download 14GB

Please note that this corpus should be used with Oncotator 1.4.x.x and above. Uniprot AA Pos annotations will not function properly with Oncotator 1.3.x.x and below.

Transcript override lists

We highly recommend that you download and use one of the below transcript override lists, especially if clinical applications of Oncotator. When running Oncotator, provide one of the below files with the -c parameter.

• Download UniProt Exact Match For GENCODE v19, will give selection priority to transcripts with protein sequences that match the UniProt protein sequence exactly. This file can also be found in the Oncotator download at test/testdata/tx_exact_uniprot_matches.txt.

• Download UniProt Exact Match + Clinical For GENCODE v19, this will give priority to known clinical protein changes. This file is a modification of the UniProt Exact Match (above). For more information about how this list was generated, please see the powerpoint presentation here

The Oncotator and default datasource corpus packages are simple tar files that can be expanded using the following commands:

$ tar zxvf oncotator-1.5.1.0.tar.gz
$ tar zxvf oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262015.tar.gz

This will produce two directories called oncotator-1.5.1.0 and oncotator_v1_ds_Dec112014, respectively. Move to the oncotator-1.5.1.0 directory by doing:

$ cd oncotator-1.5.1.0

2. Set up your Python environment and install dependencies

See the article on platform requirements for a full list of dependencies. This tutorial will show you how to use the virtual environment script we provide to set everything up automagically, and this tutorial will show you how to install dependencies manually if needed (or preferred).

3. Install Oncotator

Once you have installed all the necessary dependencies listed above, simply run the standard Python install script which is included with the Oncotator distribution.

$ python setup.py install

Two binaries (executable program files) named oncotator and initializeDatasource respectively will be installed into your Python's bin/ directory. You can test that they were installed by running e.g.:

$ oncotator -h 

to invoke the help / usage instructions. You can also do a test run of Oncotator on the Patient0.snp.maf.txt file provided with the Oncotator distribution (in the test/testdata/maflite/ directory) with the following command:

$ oncotator -v --db-dir /path/to/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262015 test/testdata/maflite/Patient0.snp.maf.txt exampleOutput.tsv hg19

where you provide the location of the datasources using the --db-dir argument. You may need to adapt the file path for the Patient0.snp.maf.txt file depending on where you run this command from.

This will produce a new file named exampleOutput.tsv with the appropriate annotations, built against the hg19 reference.

Post edited by Alex_Ramos on

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

Comments

• pmintpmint Posts: 12Member

An error occurred while installing Oncotator.

error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

What do i do ?

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 8,271Administrator, GATK Dev admin

@pmint, have you looked at the compiler requirements in this document?

• szhwatchszhwatch Posts: 1Member

An error occurred while installing Oncotator.
    Yachtmaster

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 8,271Administrator, GATK Dev admin

@szhwatch, we're going to need a little more information than that to help you. What did you try, what happened, ...?

• xiuque88xiuque88 xiuque88Posts: 2Member

Hi Geraldine,

Thanks you and your team at Broad for providing a local installation of oncotator. Could you provide the checksum for the datasource corpus ? I want to ensure that the download went perfectly.

Thanks!
    Cheers.

• xiuque88xiuque88 xiuque88Posts: 2Member
    edited July 2014

Good day,

I was running the test set and a got a series of warnings :

014-07-17`` 03:25:13,066 WARNING [oncotator.output.TcgaMafOutputRenderer:197] Entrez Gene ID was zero, but Hugo Symbol was not Unknown.  Is the HGNC and/or Transcript datasource complete?

Could you please advice if this is expected?

Cheers

Post edited by xiuque88 on
  • joonlee3joonlee3 Posts: 1Member

Hi Geraldine,

I have the same issue. The link specified above is broken. Would you please provide a new one for me? I really appreciate it.

Best,
    Joon

• vguestvguest ChinaPosts: 1Member

I was install oncotator and got a error: ERROR: Could not load pysam. Some features will be disabled (e.g. COSMIC annotations) and may cause Oncotator to fail. No handlers could be found for logger "root". I used the virtual environment script and the pysam-0.7.5 package have been successfully installed. I was confused why got this error when I test the oncotator. Can you give me some suggestion?

Hi @vguest‌,

Can you post the output that was generated during the installation process?

• chung2000chung2000 Posts: 9Member

We love having the local installation of Oncotator because of the improved ease of use and convenience. We do trip up ourselves from time to time when we forgot whether the dozens of output files contain canonical or best effect annotations or that the --tx-mode flag was set to "EFFECT" or not. Can you add as a future enhancement a text string in the output file to label the output as either Canonical or Best Effect? The text string does not have to be in the column headers but wherever it is sensible for you to put it.

Hi @chung2000, we've put this in as a feature request. In the meantime, one way to keep track of this is to check the run logs.

Thank you @Geraldine_VdAuwera. While the run logs are excellent records for when, where, and how the --tx-mode flag was set, all is lost when the Oncotator output files gets passed around to other people in our group or to other organizations because we rather not send the run logs to those people.

@chung2000 I understand, it is awkward to rely on log files. This will be implemented in an upcoming version -- we'll make an announcement when the next release is ready.

edited October 2014

If I want to obtain the latest version of the datasource corpus (more recent than the June 2014 release) where is it located? Thank you.

Post edited by chung2000 on

@chung2000 I don't believe there is a later version than June 2014 as of yet. When there is it will be made available on this page.

• np3np3 Posts: 6Member

Hi, when I run oncotator, I keep getting the error "pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: natsort"
    I am new to command-line, but I have checked that the natsort package is present. Any help would be greaty appreciated. Thanks

• LeeTL1220LeeTL1220 Jamaica Plain, MAPosts: 27Member, Broadie, Cancer Tools Developer, DSDE Dev

@np3 Try "pip install -U distribute" That has fixed this in the past.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, after doing this step and trying again, I received the same error message.

We are using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Would that make a difference?

• LeeTL1220LeeTL1220 Jamaica Plain, MAPosts: 27Member, Broadie, Cancer Tools Developer, DSDE Dev

@np3 Can you post the results of "pip freeze" ?

@np3 I have been using Ubuntu 12.04 with no issues. Also, what version of python are you using?

Python==2.7.3
    Brlapi==0.5.6
    Cython==0.21
    GnuPGInterface==0.3.2
    Jinja2==2.7.1
    Mako==0.5.0
    MarkupSafe==0.15
    MySQL-python==1.2.3
    PAM==0.4.2
    PIL==1.1.7
    Pillow==2.3.0
    Pyste==0.9.10
    Twisted-Core==11.1.0
    Twisted-Names==11.1.0
    Twisted-Web==11.1.0
    UniConvertor==1.1.4
    adium-theme-ubuntu==0.3.2
    apt-xapian-index==0.44
    apturl==0.5.1ubuntu3
    argparse==1.2.1
    biopython==1.62
    chardet==2.0.1
    chimerascan==0.4.5
    classicmenu-indicator==0.09
    command-not-found==0.2.44
    configglue==1.0
    configobj==4.7.2
    debtagshw==0.1
    decorator==3.3.2
    defer==1.0.2
    dirspec==3.0.0
    duplicity==0.6.18
    httplib2==0.7.2
    ipython==0.12.1
    jockey==0.9.7
    keyring==0.9.2
    language-selector==0.1
    launchpadlib==1.9.12
    lazr.restfulclient==0.12.0
    lazr.uri==1.0.3
    lockfile==0.8
    louis==2.3.0
    lxml==2.3.2
    matplotlib==1.1.1rc
    natsort==3.5.1
    nose==1.1.2
    numexpr==1.4.2
    numpy==1.6.1
    nvidia-common==0.0.0
    oauth==1.0.1
    onboard==0.97.1
    oneconf==0.2.8.1
    pandas==0.7.0
    pdfshuffler==0.6.0
    pexpect==2.3
    piston-mini-client==0.7.2
    protobuf==2.4.1
    pyOpenSSL==0.12
    pyPdf==1.13
    pycrypto==2.4.1
    pycups==1.9.61
    pycurl==7.19.0
    pyinotify==0.9.2
    pyparsing==1.5.2
    pysam==0.7.5
    pyserial==2.5
    pysmbc==1.0.13
    pysqlite==1.0.1
    python-apt==0.8.3ubuntu7.2
    python-dateutil==1.5
    python-debian==0.1.21ubuntu1
    python-virtkey==0.60.0
    pytz==2011k
    pyxdg==0.19
    pyzmq==2.1.11
    reportlab==2.5
    rhythmbox-ubuntuone==4.2.0
    rpy==1.0.3
    scikits.statsmodels==0.3.1
    scipy==0.9.0
    sessioninstaller==0.0.0
    simplegeneric==0.7
    simplejson==2.3.2
    software-center-aptd-plugins==0.0.0
    sympy==0.7.1.rc1
    system-service==0.1.6
    tables==2.3.1
    tornado==2.1
    ubuntuone-couch==0.3.0
    ubuntuone-installer==3.0.2
    ubuntuone-storage-protocol==3.0.2
    ufw==0.31.1-1
    unattended-upgrades==0.1
    unity-lens-video==0.3.5
    unity-scope-video-remote==0.3.5
    urlgrabber==3.9.1
    usb-creator==0.2.23
    virtualenv==1.11.6
    wadllib==1.3.0
    wsgiref==0.1.2
    xdiagnose==2.5.3
    xkit==0.0.0
    xlrd==0.9.2
    yum-metadata-parser==1.1.2
    zope.interface==3.6.1

@chung2000@Geraldine_VdAuwera‌ I have posted the Sept 17 corpus here.

@np3 Though I have newer packages that is very similar to my configuration. Usually the issue here is an incompatible version of distribute or setuptools with the version of python. Are you using a virtual environment? In other words, did you run scripts/create_oncotator_venv.sh? Apologies for basic questions. Also, use @LeeTL1220 to get a faster response.

@np3 For a different project, I just got the same error as you and I just ran pip uninstall distribute and it worked.

• ramiro2kramiro2k Posts: 5Member

Hello, I have problems making oncotator work, the first one is pysam 0.7.5, I can install 0.7.8 but for 0.7.5 I get:

NameError: name 'sys_platform' is not defined

/tmp/pip_build_rbarrant/pysam/distribute-0.6.34-py2.7.egg

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "", line 17, in

File "/tmp/pip_build_rbarrant/pysam/setup.py", line 131, in

use_setuptools()

File "distribute_setup.py", line 152, in use_setuptools

return _do_download(version, download_base, to_dir, download_delay)

File "distribute_setup.py", line 132, in _do_download

_build_egg(egg, tarball, to_dir)

File "distribute_setup.py", line 123, in _build_egg

raise IOError('Could not build the egg.')

IOError: Could not build the egg.

Cleaning up...
    Command python setup.py egg_info failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip_build_rbarrant/pysam
    Storing debug log for failure in /users/r/b/rbarrant/.pip/pip.log
    bash-3.2$

Can things work with 0.7.8 or do I REALLY need 0.7.5?

Thanks in advance,
    Ramiro

@LeeTL1220‌ Thanks for the info. I previously used "pip install virtualenv". I now tried your suggestion for installing the VE. I also uninstalled distribute before and after doing so, and also reinstalled it at the end. I could not get oncotator to work at any of these steps. I should say I am very new to Linux, so any basic advice is appreciated.

Btw, I used the command "./oncotator -h" from the "bin" directory. Is this correct?

The next step would be to try to use the new Corpus. To do so, do I need to uninstall/remove the old one?

Thanks for your help.

@Geraldine_VdAuwera‌ Sorry for the late reply. Yes, that is guide I used. Thanks.

@np3, if your installation is like mine, you would use the the command "./oncotator -h" from the "oncotator-1.3.0.0" directory.

Also, you don't need to remove the old Corpus unless you want to recover the disk space that it is occupying.

• JeremySJeremyS ParisPosts: 1Member

Hello,
    I have an error while using VCF file : ValueError: could not convert string to float:
    I have install the patched version of PyVCF.

Regards

@JeremyS‌ Did you use the create_oncotator_venv.sh script to create a virtual environment and run oncotator from there?

• inkink Posts: 4Member

Having spent a few days making Oncotator to work, I want to share my solution. I think the main problem stems from the fact that Oncotator uses distribute-0.6.15 which does not understand wheel format (new Python packaging). Therefore if you happen to have some of the required packages installed as dist-info rather than egg-info you are likely to run into trouble (check your lib/python2.7/site-packages/ )

We are running SL 6.4 on our cluster so no Python 2.7 in the distro and we are using modules.
    1/ installed python/2.7.9; created a module for python/2.7.9
    2/ installed numpy and scipy with Intel MKL support; after that

~> module load intel-mkl/11.0u1 python/2.7.9
    ~> pip freeze
    Cython==0.21.2
    h5py==2.4.0
    nose==1.3.4
    numpy==1.9.1
    scipy==0.15.1
    virtualenv==12.0.5
    wsgiref==0.1.2

This is a minimal install. Uninstall nose before proceeding further (nose was needed for testing numpy)

pip uninstall nose

After that you could proceed with virtualenv setup as recommended elsewhere. But we prefer modules.

3/ created oncotator module containing this

set base /apps/oncotator/1.4.1.0
    prepend-path PYTHONPATH $base/lib/python2.7/site-packages
    prepend-path PATH $base/bin

4/ downloaded and unpacked oncotator 1.4.1.0

5/ adapted oncotator-1.4.1.0/scripts/create_oncotator_venv.sh to make my own script for installing prerequisites

#!/bin/bash
    module load intel-mkl/11.0u1 python/2.7.9 oncotator/1.4.1.0
    TARGET=/apps/oncotator/1.4.1.0
    #C_PACKAGE_LIST="biopython cython numpy pandas sqlalchemy"
    C_PACKAGE_LIST="biopython pandas sqlalchemy"
    for C_PACKAGE in $C_PACKAGE_LIST; do
        pip install --install-option="--prefix=$TARGET" --no-use-wheel $C_PACKAGE
    done
    PACKAGE_LIST="bcbio-gff nose shove python-memcached natsort more-itertools enum34"
    for PACKAGE in $PACKAGE_LIST; do
        pip install --install-option="--prefix=$TARGET" -U --no-use-wheel $PACKAGE
    done
    wget https://github.com/elephanthunter/PyVCF/archive/master.zip
    mv master master.zip
    unzip master.zip 
    cd PyVCF-master 
    python2.7 setup.py install --prefix=$TARGET
    cd ..

cython and numpy are removed from C_PACKAGE_LIST because we have them already. Should not be any harm if there are not removed.

6/ installed oncotator itself

python2.7 setup.py install --prefix=/apps/oncotator/1.4.1.0

7/ after that loading

module load intel-mkl/11.0u1 python/2.7.9 oncotator/1.4.1.0

should make oncotator available on the command line.

8/ it should be also fine to do the following

module unload oncotator/1.4.1.0
    pip install nose

i.e. install nose back into the new python because nose is such an essential package. Oncotator should still be happy with its nose egg install.

@ink, thanks for reporting your solution.

• woodydonwoodydon TaipeiPosts: 17Member

I unzipped oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262015.tar.gz and found that the folder name was oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014 instead of oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262015. Was it simply a typo?

@woodydon said:

I unzipped oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262015.tar.gz and found that the folder name was oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014 instead of oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262015. Was it simply a typo?

I found the same thing but was able to run Oncotator with the new corpus to get the upgraded 1000 genome and dbDNP data. Most likely the folder name had a typo, as is usually the case at the beginning of any year.

Yes that looks like a typo, sorry about that.

• asoskinsasoskins Imperial College, Lonfon, UKPosts: 7Member

Hello, I've installed oncotator/1.5.1.0 and try to run it with python/2.7.3 on my vcf files with the following command line:
    oncotator -i VCF --db-dir $TMPDIR/oncotator_db -o VCF $TMPDIR/merged.vcf $TMPDIR/annotated.vcf hg19

I keep getting the following error message:

2015-04-28 20:17:21,924 ERROR [oncotator.output.VcfOutputRenderer:222] Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/apps/python/2.7.3/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.2.7.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/output/VcfOutputRenderer.py", line 214, in _renderSortedTsv
    recordBuilder = self._parseRecordBuilder(m, recordBuilder, dataManager, inferGenotypes)
    File "/apps/python/2.7.3/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.2.7.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/output/VcfOutputRenderer.py", line 276, in _parseRecordBuilder
    recordBuilder.addInfo(sampleName, ID, num, dataType, val, isSplit)
    File "/apps/python/2.7.3/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.2.7.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/output/RecordBuilder.py", line 291, in addInfo
    val = self._map(MutUtils.str2bool, self._fixVal(val, isSplit)) # convert the value to boolean
    File "/apps/python/2.7.3/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.2.7.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/output/RecordBuilder.py", line 97, in _map
    return [func(v) if v not in bad else None for v in iterable]
    File "/apps/python/2.7.3/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.2.7.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/utils/MutUtils.py", line 222, in str2bool
    return v.lower() in ("yes", "true", "t", "1", "y")
    AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'lower'

2015-04-28 20:17:21,924 ERROR [oncotator.output.VcfOutputRenderer:223] Error at mutation 1 ['1', '19865', '19865']:

Can you please help with this issue?
    Thanks in advance,
    Alona

• sherey65sherey65 SeattlePosts: 1Member

I recently downloaded Oncotator in order to use it on open-access TCGA MAF files. I kept only the first 34 columns of the MAF file, in order to remove any additional columns that may have been added by one of the TCGA data centers, and tried to input it to Oncotator using the --input_format=MAFLITE option. It seems like the two "dbSNP" columns in the TCGA MAF format caused a problem, and I got this error:

File "/tools/bin/Oncotator", line 9, in
    load_entry_point('Oncotator==v1.5.1.0', 'console_scripts', 'Oncotator')()
    File "/tools/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/Oncotator.py", line 292, in main
    annotator.annotate()
    File "/tools/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/Annotator.py", line 403, in annotate
    filename = self._outputRenderer.renderMutations(mutations, metadata=metadata, comments=comments)
    File "/tools/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/output/TcgaMafOutputRenderer.py", line 283, in renderMutations
    raise e
    oncotator.DuplicateAnnotationException.DuplicateAnnotationException: 'Attempting to create an annotation multiple times (dbSNP_RS) with old, new values of (, rs377395363)'

Removing the dbSNP_RS and dbSNP_Val_Status columns eliminated this problem.

Another issue I noticed is that column 12 in the annotated output ("Tumor_Seq_Allele1") is actually a copy of the preceding column ("Reference_Allele"), while column 13 ("Tumor_Seq_Allele2") is almost always the same as the input column 13, but sometimes different. Also the NCBI_Build in column #4 gets reset to "UNKNOWN" (although column #196 has the correct build information).

I was expecting that columns 1-34 in the original MAF would be the same in the output annotated MAF -- is there a reason why this is not the case?

thanks,

Sheila

If you upgrade to Oncotator 1.5.3.0, I believe this issue has been fixed.

@asoskins said:
    Hello, I've installed oncotator/1.5.1.0 and try to run it with python/2.7.3 on my vcf files with the following command line:
    oncotator -i VCF --db-dir $TMPDIR/oncotator_db -o VCF $TMPDIR/merged.vcf $TMPDIR/annotated.vcf hg19

I keep getting the following error message:

2015-04-28 20:17:21,924 ERROR [oncotator.output.VcfOutputRenderer:222] Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/apps/python/2.7.3/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.2.7.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/output/VcfOutputRenderer.py", line 214, in _renderSortedTsv
    recordBuilder = self._parseRecordBuilder(m, recordBuilder, dataManager, inferGenotypes)
    File "/apps/python/2.7.3/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.2.7.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/output/VcfOutputRenderer.py", line 276, in _parseRecordBuilder
    recordBuilder.addInfo(sampleName, ID, num, dataType, val, isSplit)
    File "/apps/python/2.7.3/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.2.7.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/output/RecordBuilder.py", line 291, in addInfo
    val = self._map(MutUtils.str2bool, self._fixVal(val, isSplit)) # convert the value to boolean
    File "/apps/python/2.7.3/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.2.7.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/output/RecordBuilder.py", line 97, in _map
    return [func(v) if v not in bad else None for v in iterable]
    File "/apps/python/2.7.3/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.2.7.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/utils/MutUtils.py", line 222, in str2bool
    return v.lower() in ("yes", "true", "t", "1", "y")
    AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'lower'

2015-04-28 20:17:21,924 ERROR [oncotator.output.VcfOutputRenderer:223] Error at mutation 1 ['1', '19865', '19865']:

Can you please help with this issue?
    Thanks in advance,
    Alona

@sherey65 Yes, removing the dbSNP annotations in the input file should eliminate the issue. As per the TCGA MAF spec, Reference_Allele and Tumor_Seq_Allele1 should be the same. If Tumor_Seq_Allele1 is the same as Tumor_Seq_Allele2, then you should check your input file. There are specific instructions for your use case (TCGA MAF in and TCGA MAF out) on the following page: http://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/discussion/4177/what-input-files-can-i-annotate-with-oncotator#latest

• mwongmwong SingaporePosts: 1Member

Running the test file throws this error:

2015-05-22 05:52:49,823 INFO [oncotator.Oncotator:235] Oncotator v1.5.1.0
    2015-05-22 05:52:49,823 INFO [oncotator.Oncotator:236] Args: Namespace(cache_url=None, canonical_tx_file=None, dbDir='oncotator_db', default_cli=[], default_config=None, genome_build='hg19', infer_genotypes='false', infer_onps=False, input_file='Patient0.snp.maf.txt', input_format='MAFLITE', log_name='oncotator.log', noMulticore=False, output_file='myOutputFile.maf.annotated', output_format='TCGAMAF', override_cli=[], override_config=None, prepend=False, read_only_cache=False, skip_no_alt=False, tx_mode='CANONICAL', verbose=6)
    2015-05-22 05:52:49,823 INFO [oncotator.Oncotator:237] Log file: /mergedcancerdata/oncotator.log
    2015-05-22 05:52:49,823 WARNING [oncotator.Oncotator:243] ngslib module not installed. Will be unable to annotate with BigWig datasources.
    2015-05-22 05:52:49,824 INFO [oncotator.input.MafliteInputMutationCreator:115] Initializing a maflite file with the following header: ['build', 'chr', 'start', 'end', 'ref_allele', 'tum_allele1', 'tum_allele2', 'tumor_barcode', 'normal_barcode', 't_lod_fstar', 't_alt_count', 't_ref_count']
    2015-05-22 05:52:49,825 INFO [oncotator.output.TcgaMafOutputRenderer:90] Building alternative keys dictionary...
    2015-05-22 05:52:49,825 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for oncotator_db/1000genome_db/hg19/1000genome_db.config
    2015-05-22 05:52:49,825 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:304] Creating pool
    2015-05-22 05:52:49,835 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:307] Pool created

File "/usr/local/bin/oncotator", line 9, in
    load_entry_point('Oncotator==v1.5.1.0', 'console_scripts', 'oncotator')()
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/Oncotator.py", line 288, in main
    other_opts=determineOtherOptions(args), annotating_type=annotating_type)
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/utils/RunSpecificationFactory.py", line 118, in create_run_spec
    datasource_list = DatasourceFactory.createDatasources(datasourceDir, genomeBuild, isMulticore=isMulticore, numCores=numCores, tx_mode=tx_mode)
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/DatasourceFactory.py", line 294, in createDatasources
    result = DatasourceFactory._createDatasourcesMulticore(numCores, dsQueueList)
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/DatasourceFactory.py", line 317, in _createDatasourcesMulticore
    result.append(DatasourceFactory.createDatasourceGivenTuple(dsTuple))
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/DatasourceFactory.py", line 106, in createDatasourceGivenTuple
    return DatasourceFactory.createDatasource(configTuple[0], configTuple[1])
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/DatasourceFactory.py", line 100, in createDatasource
    return DatasourceFactory.createDatasourceFromConfigParser(configParser, leafDir)
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/DatasourceFactory.py", line 186, in createDatasourceFromConfigParser
    match_mode=configParser.get('general', 'match_mode'))
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/datasources/TabixIndexedVcfDatasource.py", line 84, in init
    self.vcf_reader = vcf.Reader(filename=src_file, strict_whitespace=True)
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyVCF-0.6.7-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/vcf/parser.py", line 288, in init
    self._parse_metainfo()
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyVCF-0.6.7-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/vcf/parser.py", line 304, in _parse_metainfo
    line = self.reader.next()
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyVCF-0.6.7-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/vcf/parser.py", line 268, in
    self.reader = (line.strip() for line in self._reader if line.strip())
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/gzip.py", line 451, in readline
    c = self.read(readsize)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/gzip.py", line 258, in read
    if not self._read(readsize):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/gzip.py", line 293, in _read
    self._read_gzip_header()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/gzip.py", line 205, in _read_gzip_header
    self._read_exact(struct.unpack("<H", self._read_exact(2)))
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/gzip.py", line 185, in _read_exact
    data = self.fileobj.read(n)
    TypeError: an integer is required

• XBonXBon SwitzerlandPosts: 15Member

Hello!
    I recently downloaded oncotator v1.5.3.0 and the newest database bundle (Jan262014) and I cannot annotate my samples. Oncotator works well and parses through my input file, but there is no annotations at the end. Apparently the datasources are not recognized:

2015-05-26 12:34:23,695 INFO [oncotator.Oncotator:235] Oncotator v1.5.3.0
    2015-05-26 12:34:23,696 INFO [oncotator.Oncotator:236] Args: Namespace(cache_url=None, canonical_tx_file=None, dbDir='/data2/unige/dmg/xbonilla/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262015/', default_cli=[], default_config=None, genome_build='hg19', infer_genotypes='false', infer_onps=True, input_file='call_stats_5-VS018-T1.out', input_format='MAFLITE', log_name='5-VS018-T1.ann.log', noMulticore=False, output_file='5-VS018-T1.maf.annotated', output_format='TCGAMAF', override_cli=[], override_config=None, prepend=False, read_only_cache=False, skip_no_alt=False, tx_mode='CANONICAL', verbose=6)
    2015-05-26 12:34:23,696 WARNING [oncotator.Oncotator:243] ngslib module not installed. Will be unable to annotate with BigWig datasources.
    2015-05-26 12:34:23,696 INFO [oncotator.utils.RunSpecificationFactory:108] Output file order may be different than input file because we're combining SNPs into ONPs
    2015-05-26 12:34:34,261 INFO [oncotator.input.MafliteInputMutationCreator:115] Initializing a maflite file with the following header: ['contig', 'position', 'context', 'ref_allele', 'alt_allele', 'tumor_name', 'normal_name', 'score', 'dbsnp_site', 'covered', 'power', 'tumor_power', 'normal_power', 'total_pairs', 'improper_pairs', 'map_Q0_reads', 't_lod_fstar', 'tumor_f', 'contaminant_fraction', 'contaminant_lod', 't_ref_count', 't_alt_count', 't_ref_sum', 't_alt_sum', 't_ref_max_mapq', 't_alt_max_mapq', 't_ins_count', 't_del_count', 'normal_best_gt', 'init_n_lod', 'n_ref_count', 'n_alt_count', 'n_ref_sum', 'n_alt_sum', 'judgement']
    2015-05-26 12:34:34,565 INFO [oncotator.input.OnpCombiner:77] Merging adjacent snps from the same samples into ONPs
    2015-05-26 12:34:34,582 INFO [oncotator.output.TcgaMafOutputRenderer:90] Building alternative keys dictionary...
    2015-05-26 12:34:34,584 WARNING [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:260] %s does not exist, so there will be no datasources.
    2015-05-26 12:34:34,584 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:325] No datasources to initialize
    2015-05-26 12:34:34,584 INFO [oncotator.cache.DummyCache:57] No cache specified. All cache attempts will be listed as cache misses.
    2015-05-26 12:34:34,585 INFO [oncotator.Annotator:392] Annotating with 0 datasources: Oncotator v1.5.3.0 |
    2015-05-26 12:34:34,585 INFO [oncotator.output.TcgaMafOutputRenderer:218] TCGA MAF output file: newmutect_newdatabase_5-VS018-T1.maf.annotated
    2015-05-26 12:34:34,586 INFO [oncotator.output.TcgaMafOutputRenderer:219] Render starting...
    2015-05-26 12:34:34,586 WARNING [oncotator.Annotator:466] THERE ARE NO DATASOURCES REGISTERED
    2015-05-26 12:34:34,588 INFO [oncotator.utils.SampleNameSelector:90] Sample name is the concatenation of the normal_name and tumor_name columns.
    2015-05-26 12:34:34,955 WARNING [oncotator.input.OnpQueue:196] Mutations are not sorted by start position, this may cause unexpected behavior or increased memory requirements. It is recommended that your sort any files that youusing with --infer-onps by position and sample name.
    2015-05-26 12:34:35,685 INFO [oncotator.output.TcgaMafOutputRenderer:276] Rendered 1000 mutations.

I was wondering if I have to initialize one by one the databases from the bundle, or if there is a way of getting oncotator to recognize them since they are already in the right format? I am not sure what I missed in the installation process.
    Thank you in advance and I'm sorry for the newbie question!

@mwong I think v1.5.3.0 fixes this issue.

@XBon I would need to see your directory structure, but I think you need to add one more dir to the end of your db-dir. db-dir should specify the parent directory of ref_hg/, hgnc/, dbnsfp/, etc.

• ravichavravichav United StatesPosts: 4Member

I ran oncotator1.5.1.0 on a HC called VCF using the command

oncotator -i VCF -o VCF --db-dir /path_to/ngstools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/ Project_bwa_GatkHC.vcf Project_bwa_GatkHC_oncotator.vcf hg19

The script ran for about 214000 mutations and threw an exception. Pasting the error below. Can someone help me understand this error?

2015-06-11 13:11:58,655 INFO [oncotator.output.OutputDataManager:194] Wrote 214000 mutations to tsv.

File "/home/Pythonmodules/bin/oncotator", line 9, in
    load_entry_point('Oncotator==v1.5.1.0', 'console_scripts', 'oncotator')()
    File "/home/Pythonmodules/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/Oncotator.py", line 292, in main
    annotator.annotate()
    File "/home/Pythonmodules/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/Annotator.py", line 403, in annotate
    filename = self.outputRenderer.renderMutations(mutations, metadata=metadata, comments=comments)
    File "/home/Pythonmodules/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/output/VcfOutputRenderer.py", line 118, in renderMutations
    dataManager = OutputDataManager(self.configTable, mutations, comments, metadata, path)
    File "/home/Pythonmodules/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/output/OutputDataManager.py", line 92, in __init_
    self.chroms, self.sampleNames, self.filename = self._writeMuts2Tsv(self.mutations, path)
    File "/home/Pythonmodules/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/output/OutputDataManager.py", line 160, in _writeMuts2Tsv
    for mut in muts:
    File "/home/Pythonmodules/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/Annotator.py", line 414, in _applyManualAnnotations
    for m in mutations:
    File "/home/Pythonmodules/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/Annotator.py", line 422, in _applyDefaultAnnotations
    for m in mutations:
    File "/home/Pythonmodules/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/Annotator.py", line 470, in _annotate_mutations_using_datasources
    for m in mutations:
    File "/home/Pythonmodules/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/input/VcfInputMutationCreator.py", line 306, in createMutations
    sampleMut = self._addGenotypeData2Mutation(sampleMut, record, index)
    File "/home/Pythonmodules/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-v1.5.1.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/input/VcfInputMutationCreator.py", line 130, in _addGenotypeData2Mutation
    val = genotypeData[ID][index]
    IndexError: list index out of range

• alaganaalagana Posts: 4Member

Hello,
    I am having the same issue as @mwong. I tried both versions 1.5.1.0 and 1.5.3.0 and it stops on the error "TypeError: an integer is required" as soon as it starts. Any ideas how to fix this?

Alessandro

=====

2015-06-17 16:15:01,636 INFO [oncotator.Oncotator:237] Log file: /data1/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator-1.5.3.0/oncotator.log
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,636 INFO [oncotator.utils.RunSpecificationFactory:108] no prepend specified when output is not TCGAMAF. Ignoring and proceeding.
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,646 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/ccle_by_gp/hg19/ccle_by_gp.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,646 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/tcgascape/hg19/tcgascape.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,646 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/esp6500SI_v2_coverage/hg19/esp6500SI_v2_coverage.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,646 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/esp6500SI_v2/hg19/esp6500SI_v2.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,646 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/achilles/hg19/achilles.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,646 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/oreganno/hg19/oreganno.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,647 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/hgnc/hg19/hgnc.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,647 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/ccle_by_gene/hg19/ccle_by_gene.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,647 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/clinvar/hg19/clinvar.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,647 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/dna_repair_genes/hg19/dna_repair_genes.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,647 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/cancer_gene_census/hg19/cancer_gene_census.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,647 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/dbsnp/hg19/dbsnp.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,647 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/cosmic_tissue/hg19/cosmic_tissue.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,647 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/gencode_out2/hg19/gencode_out2.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,648 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/uniprot_aa_annotation/hg19/uniprot_aa_annotation.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,648 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/ref_hg/hg19/ref_hg.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,648 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/cosmic_fusion/hg19/cosmic_fusion.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,648 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/uniprot_aa_xform/hg19/uniprot_aa_xform.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,648 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/tumorscape/hg19/tumorscape.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,648 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/mutsig/hg19/mutsig.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,649 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/cosmic/hg19/cosmic.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,649 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/1000genome_db/hg19/1000genome_db.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,649 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/dbNSFP_ds/hg19/dbNSFP_ds.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,649 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/familial/hg19/familial.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,649 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/gencode_xrefseq/hg19/gencode_xrefseq.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,649 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/simple_uniprot/hg19/simple_uniprot.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,649 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:286] Queuing datasource creation for /home/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262014/so_terms/hg19/so_terms.config
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,650 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:304] Creating pool
    2015-06-17 16:15:01,658 INFO [oncotator.DatasourceFactory:307] Pool created
    File "/data1/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator-1.5.3.0/venv/bin/oncotator", line 9, in
    load_entry_point('Oncotator==1.5.3.0', 'console_scripts', 'oncotator')()
    File "/data1/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator-1.5.3.0/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-1.5.3.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/Oncotator.py", line 288, in main
    other_opts=determineOtherOptions(args), annotating_type=annotating_type)
    File "/data1/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator-1.5.3.0/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-1.5.3.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/utils/RunSpecificationFactory.py", line 118, in create_run_spec
    datasource_list = DatasourceFactory.createDatasources(datasourceDir, genomeBuild, isMulticore=isMulticore, numCores=numCores, tx_mode=tx_mode)
    File "/data1/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator-1.5.3.0/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-1.5.3.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/DatasourceFactory.py", line 294, in createDatasources
    result = DatasourceFactory._createDatasourcesMulticore(numCores, dsQueueList)
    File "/data1/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator-1.5.3.0/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-1.5.3.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/DatasourceFactory.py", line 317, in _createDatasourcesMulticore
    result.append(DatasourceFactory.createDatasourceGivenTuple(dsTuple))
    File "/data1/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator-1.5.3.0/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-1.5.3.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/DatasourceFactory.py", line 106, in createDatasourceGivenTuple
    return DatasourceFactory.createDatasource(configTuple[0], configTuple[1])
    File "/data1/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator-1.5.3.0/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-1.5.3.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/DatasourceFactory.py", line 100, in createDatasource
    return DatasourceFactory.createDatasourceFromConfigParser(configParser, leafDir)
    File "/data1/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator-1.5.3.0/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-1.5.3.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/DatasourceFactory.py", line 186, in createDatasourceFromConfigParser
    match_mode=configParser.get('general', 'match_mode'))
    File "/data1/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator-1.5.3.0/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Oncotator-1.5.3.0-py2.7.egg/oncotator/datasources/TabixIndexedVcfDatasource.py", line 84, in init
    self.vcf_reader = vcf.Reader(filename=src_file, strict_whitespace=True)
    File "/data1/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator-1.5.3.0/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyVCF-0.6.4-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/vcf/parser.py", line 283, in init
    self._parse_metainfo()
    File "/data1/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator-1.5.3.0/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyVCF-0.6.4-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/vcf/parser.py", line 299, in _parse_metainfo
    line = self.reader.next()
    File "/data1/alessandro/projects/tools/oncotator-1.5.3.0/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyVCF-0.6.4-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/vcf/parser.py", line 263, in
    self.reader = (line.strip() for line in self._reader if line.strip())
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/gzip.py", line 451, in readline
    c = self.read(readsize)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/gzip.py", line 258, in read
    if not self._read(readsize):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/gzip.py", line 293, in _read
    self._read_gzip_header()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/gzip.py", line 205, in _read_gzip_header
    self._read_exact(struct.unpack("<H", self._read_exact(2)))
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/gzip.py", line 185, in _read_exact
    data = self.fileobj.read(n)
    TypeError: an integer is required

@alagana @mwong Did you guys use the oncotator create_oncotator_venv.sh script?

• alaganaalagana Posts: 4Member
    edited June 24