Bug Bulletin: The GenomeLocPArser error in SplitNCigarReads has been fixed; if you encounter it, use the latest nightly build.

Would it be possible for PbsEngine jobRunner not to set a default queue?

CarlosBorrotoCarlosBorroto Posts: 33Member
edited March 21 in Ask the GATK team

Hi,

I'm trying to use Queue with Torque through the PbsEngine jobRunner. The institutional cluster I'm trying to use doesn't allow users to select a queue. You are supposed to request the proper resources and a job routing algorithm selects the right queue for you.

I was able to confirm that doing this change allows me to use Queue in this kind of enviroment.

In "gatk-protected / public / queue-framework / src / main / scala / org / broadinstitute / sting / queue / engine / pbsengine / PbsEngineJobRunner.scala":

Change:

// If the job queue is set specify the job queue
    if (function.jobQueue != null)
      nativeSpec += " -q " + function.jobQueue
    else
      nativeSpec += " -q normal "

to:

// If the job queue is set specify the job queue
    if (function.jobQueue != null)
      nativeSpec += " -q " + function.jobQueue

Thanks, Carlos

PS: Do the GATK team accepts pull requests? If so, I could submit a pull request with this change.

Post edited by CarlosBorroto on
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 6,412Administrator, GATK Developer admin

Sure, we accept pull requests. But I think this might need better handling for the case where you don't specify a queue but still need one to be set by default (?). Maybe it would be better to do this with a flag that deactivates setting the queue? I don't know if this makes sense and will defer to the usual experts of course :)

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 6,412Administrator, GATK Developer admin

Hah, that is really helpful, thanks Phil. Yep, I was also reacting with the initial "undefined is bad" feeling, but if you tell me that's it's actually not (or not worse than an arbitrary and non-universal default) then I am quite happy with Carlos' solution.

Carlos, feel free to make your pull-request to the public github repo and I'll make sure it gets processed. Please include the URL to this discussion in the description to fend off "undefined is bad" objections.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD