Print Reads --sample_name option doesn't apply to BAM header @RG SM:

tyamaguchityamaguchi CanadaPosts: 3Member

I use --sample_name option to restrict output reads for PintReads walker (GATK version - 2.4.9).
This option works well but the output BAM header @RG still contains sample name (SM) that was not included.
Is there a way to apply this --sample_name option to BAM header at the same time?
I could reheader the BAM files using samtools but I'm looking for a better and easier way.

Thank you,

Best Answer

• tyamaguchityamaguchi CanadaPosts: 3Member
    edited March 2014

Hi Geraldine,

Thanks for the reply. I see. Is there a plan to add this function (sample level print reads and reheader at the same time when --sample_name is used) in newer GATK?

Post edited by tyamaguchi on
  • Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 8,688Administrator, GATK Dev admin

I'm not aware of any such plan, sorry.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• tyamaguchityamaguchi CanadaPosts: 3Member

No worries. Thank you for the quick reply!

• dklevebringdklevebring Posts: 79Member

Here's +1 for cleaning up the header within PrintReads when using --sample_name. OR add a flag to HC so it can be run when header elements for multiple samples exist... How about adding --sample_name to HC? Would be even more useful now that I think about it.

• SheilaSheila Broad InstitutePosts: 2,381Member, GATK Dev, Broadie, Moderator, DSDE Dev admin
    edited June 2014

Thanks for the insight. It is good to know things that make GATK more user - friendly.

Post edited by Sheila on