VariantRecalibrator error

frankibfrankib Sherbrooke, CanadaPosts: 41Member

Hi,

I'm now at the VQSR step of the best practices and to my surprise I got the following error related to java (I think):

Error: Could not find or load main class –jar

Here is my command line:

java –jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar –T VariantRecalibrator –R ../human_g1k_v37.fasta –input ../raw_variants.vcf -resource:hapmap,known=false,training=true,truth=true,prior=15.0 ../hapmap_3.3.b37.vcf -resource:omni,known=false,training=true,truth=false,prior=12.0 ../1000G_omni2.5.b37.vcf -resource:dbsnp,known=true,training=false,truth=false,prior=2.0 ../dbsnp_138.b37.vcf -resource:1000G,known=false,training=true,truth=false,prior=10.0 ../1000G_phase1.snps.high_confidence.b37.vcf -an QD -an MQRankSum -an ReadPosRankSum -an FS --maxGaussians 4 –mode SNP -tranche 100.0 -tranche 99.9 -tranche 99.0 -tranche 90.0 –recalFile raw.SNPs.recal –tranchesFile raw.SNPs.tranches -rscriptFile recal.plots.R

I don't understand what is the problem. Could someone look at it and identify if I made a mistake in my command line?

Thank you for your support

Best Answers

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 7,424Administrator, GATK Developer admin

Nothing's jumping out at me but I would recommend re-typing your command line from scratch, at least.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• frankibfrankib Sherbrooke, CanadaPosts: 41Member

I got the same error after I having retried.
    Is it possible that the VariantRecalibrator tool is just badly installed? Is there a shorter command line that I can use just to test if the tool can work?

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 7,424Administrator, GATK Developer admin

No, you wouldn't get that error for just one tool. You can try java -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T VariantRecalibrator -h to bring up the help message and documentation for the tool.

I tried to recalibrate indels first with this command:

java –jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar –T VariantRecalibrator –R ../human_g1k_v37.fasta –I ../raw_variants.vcf -resource:mills,known=true,training=true,truth=true,prior=12.0 ../Mills_and_1000G_gold_standard.indels.b37.vcf
    -an QD -an MQRankSum -an ReadPosRankSum -an FS
    --maxGaussians 4 –mode INDEL -tranche 100.0 -tranche 99.9 -tranche 99.0 -tranche 90.0
    –recalFile ../raw.indels.recal –tranchesFile ../raw.SNPs.tranches -rscriptFile ../recal.plots.R

and got the same error. Should I reinstall java and/or GATK?

Just don't know what to do right now...

Is it also happening with other GATK tools? And are you using a version downloaded from our website, or one that you compiled yourself?

@Geraldine_VdAuwera said:
    Is it also happening with other GATK tools? And are you using a version downloaded from our website, or one that you compiled yourself?

No. All the tools that I've used so far (I follow the best practices) work properly. I downloaded the latest version on your website (v2.8-1-g932cd3a, Compiled 2013/12/06 16:47:15)

I'll check if I could find another machine...

@Geraldine_VdAuwera said:
    Hmm. You can always try downloading the package again but I can't think of why that would make a difference. Do you have access to a different machine you could test on in parallel?

I finally found what was wrong. The problem was the "-" symbol in front of "jar". The one I used (although I don't know why) was not read by the machine. The one causing problem was a little bit longer than the one it should be used...

Ack, I should have thought of that. Did you maybe compose the command line in a word processor? MS Word for example will substitute long dashes for style, but then in the shell it's interpreted as a different character.

No. In fact if I remember well, I think I copied it from your website since the command line was pretty long...

Ah, that could cause character encoding issues. Glad it's resolved anyway.

Now, I'm having problem to view the plot.r.pdf file. When I try to open it, I got the following message: "File type plain text document (text/plain) is not supported". When I tried to open it under windows with acrobat XI, I'm not able to open it. How can I be sure that the Variantcalibrator worked properly?

Did the run complete successfully? And have you tried opening the file on a different machine? It's a plain pdf...

Also I've found this warning:
    WARN 11:49:58,760 Utils - ********************************************************************************
    WARN 11:49:58,760 Utils - * WARNING:
    WARN 11:49:58,760 Utils - *
    WARN 11:49:58,761 Utils - * Rscript not found in environment path. ../recal.plots.R.pdf will be
    WARN 11:49:58,761 Utils - * generated but PDF plots will not.
    WARN 11:49:58,761 Utils - ********************************************************************************

Rscript has been installed and no warning showed up when I run again the tool, but I still can't open the plot.R file (by the way it is a plain text document type). However there is a .tranches.pdf that is produced and that one I can open it.
    I tried to run again by adding the extension .pdf to the plot.R file (plot.R.pdf) in the command line but that didn't change anything. I attached the INFO, maybe you'll see what is the issue...

txt
    txt
    INFO.txt

OK. I see. thank you...