Bug Bulletin: we have identified a bug that affects indexing when producing gzipped VCFs. This will be fixed in the upcoming 3.2 release; in the meantime you need to reindex gzipped VCFs using Tabix.

dbSNP - ancestral_allele and gene_name data missing in SubSNP table

messiemessie Skaneateles, nyPosts: 3Member
edited January 17 in Ask the team

Question on the dbSNP database. Looks like the SubSNP table is the only location for ancestral_allele and gene_name information for a given snp_id/subsnp_id. However, these fields in SubSNP are very sparsely populated. For example, if you search the dbSNP web page :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/SNP/snp_ref.cgi?searchType=adhoc_search&type=rs&rs=rs5

you can see the ancestral allele for rs5 is G. However, if you search snp_id=5 in the SubSNP table, both ancestral_allele and gene_name are null:

mysql> select gene_name,ancestral_allele from SubSNP where snp_id=5;
+-----------+------------------+
| gene_name | ancestral_allele |
|           |                  |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Can anyone explain this discrepancy or know where I can get ancestral_allele or gene_name if not in SubSNP directly ?

Post edited by Geraldine_VdAuwera on
Tagged:

Comments

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 5,293Administrator, GSA Member admin

Hi there,

I have no idea what the SubSNP table is so I can't help you. Perhaps someone from the community will pop up with an answer, but if not I would ask the dbSNP support folks, or post your question on a more general forum like Biostars or SeqAnswers. Good luck!

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD