Bug Bulletin: we have identified a bug that affects indexing when producing gzipped VCFs. This will be fixed in the upcoming 3.2 release; in the meantime you need to reindex gzipped VCFs using Tabix.

indels in Pileup output

akiezunakiezun Posts: 13Member

Hi, to get to indel information in pileup output (eg number and lengths of deletions spanning the position), do I have to run the verbose option? I'm asking because the verbose output produces all that per-read info that I don't need right now - just need the indels. Samtools pileup includes indel info in the standard output and like any other base.

./adam

Tagged:

Answers

• ebanksebanks Posts: 671GSA Member mod

Hey Adam, The standard output should give you deletions in the pileup (using the 'D' character). The verbose output will additionally give you the total number of spanning deletions (plus all that other info you don't need). But there's currently no way to get the length of deletions. This would be fairly straightforward to implement though, so if you want to give it a shot we'd be thrilled to incorporate a patch from you... :)

Eric Banks, PhD -- Senior Group Leader, MPG Analysis, Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT

• akiezunakiezun Posts: 13Member

Thanks Eric. Do I need anything special to get this to work, I don't see any indication of indels in the output (samtools reports an indel though)? I'm on v2.7-2-g701cd16. Here's what I get from samtools mpileup:

13  32920967    N   137 C$CCCCC-4NNNNC-4NNNNCCCCCC-4NNNNC-4NNNNCCCC-4NNNNCC-4NNNNC-4NNNNccC-4NNNNC-4NNNNC-4NNNNC-4NNNNCC-4NNNNcCcCCC-4NNNNC-4NNNNCCCc-4nnnnC-4NNNNCcCC-4NNNNCc-4nnnnCcC-4NNNNC-4NNNNC-4NNNNC-4NNNNc-4nnnnc-4nnnncc-4nnnnc-4nnnnCCcc-4nnnnc-4nnnnCc-4nnnnCcC-4NNNNCC-4NNNNcC-4NNNNCcCCc-4nnnncC-4NNNNccc-4nnnnCc-4nnnncc-4nnnnC-4NNNNCC-4NNNNC-4NNNNCc-4nnnncCc-4nnnnC-4NNNNcccC-4NNNNC-4NNNNcC-4NNNNc-4nnnnccc-4nnnnC-4NNNNccC-4NNNNCCc-4nnnnc-4nnnncCCCc-4nnnnCC-4NNNNcC-4NNNNC-4NNNNcCc-4nnnnc-4nnnnC-4NNNNCC-4NNNNcc-4nnnnCcC-4NNNN  CBDCEEHIIEHFFHFGIFHIIIIIDGHIIDH>FFIGGIHIIIIHIIIIIAHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFIHIIIIIIHGIIHIIIHIHHAIIHII6IIHHIHIFIIHIIHBHIIDHHHIHAGGIIIIIIGGHGFFE
    13  32920968    N   136 AAAA**AAAAA**AAA*A**aa****A*aAaAA**AAA**AaA*A*Aa******a**AAa**A*Aa*A*a*AaAA*a*aa*A*a**A**A*aA**aaa**a**aa**aa*AA**aAAA*A*a**aA***A*a*Aa*    EEDECFHGGIGGGGGHEIEGGIHIIEGEIIFGHIIIFGIIGBGIIGGIBGGFIGIIGIIIGGIII@GIGGGIIFIGGGGFIGIGGGIGG>GEGGI?IEGGIFIBIEFIHGIGIG6GCGEGEIFHDHFEHFFFCECF
    13  32920969    N   138 A$A$A$A$**AAAAA**AAA*A**aa****A*aAaAA**AAA**AaA*A*Aa******a**AAa**A*Aa*A*a*AaAA*a*aa*A*a**A**A$*aA**aaa**a**aa**aa*AA**aAAA*A*a**aA***A*a*Aa*^]a^]a ECDECFFIGIFGGGGHEIEGEHHIIEHEHIEHFIIGIGIIHIGIIGEIBGGFIGIIGIIIGGIIIIGIGFGIIIIGFGFIIGIFGGIGGAGFGGIAIFGGIFIAIEFFFGEGIG@GGGEGEIFHIIFEHFFECGEFA>
    13  32920970    N   134 **TTTTT**TTT*T**tt****T*tTtTT**TTT**TtT*T*Tt******t**TTt**T*Tt*T*t*TtTT*t*tt*T*t**T***tT**ttt**t**tt**tt*TT**tTTT*T*t**tT***T*t*Tt*tt^]t    CFEGEHCGGFEFEIEGEHHIIEFEHIDFFIIIIFIIFHFIIGFHBGGFIGHIGHHHGGHIHIGDGFGHIHHGDGFIIEIFGGHGGGFFGICHDGGIFIBIEFIFGCEIGCEEEEEEIFHIGFEHEFFCFBFB>@
    13  32920971    N   134 **AAAAA**AAA*A**aa****A*aAaAA**AAA**AaA*A*Aa******a**AAa**A*Aa*A*a*AaAA*a*aa*A*a**A***aA**aaa**a**aa**aa*AA**aAAA*A*a**aA***A*a*Aa*aaa  CFFGEDBGGFFDEIEGGIHIIEFEIDGFFIIHIEIIFIEIHGFIBGGFIGIIGHHIGGHIHIGHGGGHIDHGGGGFIEIGGGHGGGGEGI@IGGGIFIAIEFIGGHFIGGFAEEFEIFHIGFEHDFECFDFC7B

and this is from GATK Pileup:

13 32920967 C CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC CBDCEEHIIEHFFHFGIFHIIIIIDGHIIDH>FFIGGIHIIIIHIIIIIAHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFIHIIIIIIHGIIHIIIHIHHAIIHII6IIHHIHIFIIHIIHBHIIDHHHIHAGGIIIIIIGGHGFFE
        13 32920968 A AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA EEDEHGGIGGGHIGIGIIFGHIFGGBGIGIIIIIII@IGIIFIGGFGGI>EG?IEIBIIHIG6GCGGIDHFFEC
        13 32920969 A AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ECDEFIGIFGGHIEHHHIEHFGIGHIGIEIIIIIIIIIFIIIIFFIGFIAFGAIFIAIFFEG@GGGGIIIFEGEA>
        13 32920970 T TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT EGEHCFEFIEHFHIDFFIIFFHFIFHHHHHHHIDFHIHHDFIEFHFFCHDIBIIFCECEEEEIIGEFFBB>@
        13 32920971 A AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA FGEDBFFDIGIFIDGFFHIEFIEHFIIHHIHHIHGHIDHGGFEGHGE@IGIAIIGHFGFAEFIIGDEFDC7B

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 5,260Administrator, GSA Member admin

Hmm, weird. Have you tried running on another region that has a clear indel, to see if all indels are being mishandled or just this one? To be honest, this might be a bug, but unfortunately we're all up to our ears in work and fixing this won't be a priority...

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

Understood.

This indel is pretty clean. For your convenience I cut a small region that shows the same result. On the Broad servers it's here; /xchip/cga_home/akiezun/forSharing/debugPileupOnIndels

If you do confirm it is a bug, I will take a shot at fixing it, but I do want to make sure I'm not missing something trivial like an option or something.

thanks Geraldine

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 5,260Administrator, GSA Member admin

Nope, there are no other options, so I'd call it a bug. FYI we have another pileup-related tool called CheckPileup that compares the output from our Pileup to the samtools one. I'm not sure but maybe that could be helpful for debugging? In any case, would be awesome to get a fix from you.

Thanks. I got a bizarre error when running CheckPileup the SAM pileup line didn't have the expected number of tokens (expected = 10, saw = 6 on line ...

this is strange because the sam pileup format is in fact 6 columns, per GATK docs: http://www.broadinstitute.org/gatk/gatkdocs/org_broadinstitute_sting_utils_codecs_sampileup_SAMPileupCodec.html and per samtools docs: http://samtools.sourceforge.net/pileup.shtml

I'm puzzled. I'm missing something super trivial.

Hmm, it's calling the SAMPileupCodec which does specify it wants 10 tokens:

public class SAMPileupCodec extends AsciiFeatureCodec<SAMPileupFeature> {
        // the number of tokens we expect to parse from a pileup line
        private static final int expectedTokenCount = 10;

I wonder if this is an old codec that hasn't been updated in a while. I'll ask GSA if they know what's going on here.

• KurtKurt Posts: 110Member ✭✭✭

There always was some confusion as to what the definition of the format of pileup was from samtools. There was the simple pileup which is 6 columns and there was the "consensus" or extended pileup that a lot of people called pileup that was 10 columns (It was the original 6 plus 4 extra columns, which most people used pre-vcf)...I forget what those extra 4 columns were...

OK, I think I know what may be going on. The old samtools command, pileup (now deprecated), used to have a flag -c which generated a consensus sequence and had 10 columns in the output. The doc is wrong then because it exploicity shows 6 columns: http://www.broadinstitute.org/gatk/gatkdocs/org_broadinstitute_sting_utils_codecs_sampileup_SAMPileupCodec.html

With that, I was able to validate the pileup with the checker. I'm still missing the indels though - I guess the checker must just actively ignore them because they're right there in the pileup output. Will try to fix this.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks. I'll fix the docs accordingly.

Hmm, Eric says that the output should contain indels but the Pileup walker inherits the default implementation of org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.Walker.includeReadsWithDeletionAtLoci() which returns false so indels are not even seen by the walker in the pileup so it seems to have no chance of including indels right now.