Workshops/user meetings around ASHG this year?

KlausNZKlausNZ Posts: 53Member

Hi Team,
I wonder whether you're planning to hold GATK workshops or user meetings before or after ASHG this year. I assume many users will make their way to Boston, and for those from far away (like myself), this would be very useful and efficient. Hope I didn't miss an announcement somewhere, searched but only found an IGV tutorial...
Hopefully yours,
K

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 8,171Administrator, GATK Dev admin

Hi Klaus, I'm glad you brought this up! We were planning to do a workshop on pipelining analyses (for GATK but also other tools) with Queue in early October, so I'll look into the scheduling and see if we can push the date back closer to ASHG. I'll also look into the possibility of doing a user meetup for general GATK questions and comments. Does either sound like something you'd attend given the opportunity?

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• KlausNZKlausNZ Posts: 53Member

Hi Geraldine,
    An enthusiastic 'Yes' to both! In case you don't know this already, the meeting's scientific program doesn't start until late afternoon on the first 'official' day (Tuesday).
    Alternatively, post-conference might also be a good time assuming that the conference presentations should generate many potential new GATK users.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 8,171Administrator, GATK Dev admin

Great! We'll post an announcement once we have the schedule nailed down. Again, thanks for bringing this up!

Geraldine, could you give us an indication by when the nailing may be done? Won't hold you to it, just need rough idea (day vs weeks vs months). Down here, flight costs go up quite a bit closer to travel date.

Oh sure, I hear you re: flight costs. I expect we'll know early next week -- the decision doesn't take much, we just need to check that the auditorium is available and the speakers are in town at the given date. The coordinator is out of office until Monday but as soon as they're back we'll sort it out.

Fantastic, many thanks Geraldine!

Quick update: although we don't yet have a final decision on the date when we would hold the workshop, we have decided to expand our plans to include also the module on Best Practices that we've been doing locally. Ideally we'd like to do the Best Practices module on the Monday then the Queue module on the Tuesday morning, right before ASHG starts. I'll let you know when we have the final greenlight from our admin overlords :)

Yahoo, that's fantastic. Good luck with the overlords - maybe tell them the Southern Hemisphere will be grateful!

Wow, you speak for the entire Southern Hemisphere? That's pretty impressive ;)

Well, I'm just back from Australia so I can at least pretend to speak for them. My neighbor is from South Africa so I consider this region 'ticked'. I may have sneak off to Rio to make sure.... Meanwhile, do you have word from the administrators?

Hah, okay then. No definite word yet unfortunately, and I have been traveling, but I'll be back tomorrow and will try to sort things out once and for all. Apologies for the delay.

No worries, hope you recover well from your trip!

Yahoo, just great! Many thanks for fitting your schedule to this opportunity. Where does one register (if it's open yet)