Bug Bulletin: The GenomeLocPArser error in SplitNCigarReads has been fixed; if you encounter it, use the latest nightly build.

java conflict on cluster

BlueBlue Posts: 24Member
edited June 2013 in Ask the GATK team

Hi,

I'm getting repeated errors relating to java, when using GATK in a shell script on my university cluster. The message is 'NoClassDefFoundError'. It has worked previously using GATK version 2.1.9 (on a different node). My memory allocation for GATK on the cluster is set to 16GB. As I'm using GATK as part of a shell script which invokes java, then the 'java', '-2xmg' and '.jar' parts of the command are not required (at least they weren't previously). Attempting to invoke GATK from the command line in cluster using -bash: /cm/shared/apps/GenomeAnalysisTK/2.1.9/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar ...returns :Permission denied

The first question is 'am I coding it correctly?', the second is 'could GATK not be happy with java?' and the third is 'do you have any tips to resolve this?'

I have read the several of the answers relating to java-GATK problems but am none the wiser. Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Blue

The shell script commands are:

#!/bin/sh 
#$ -N ReadMapper_H001
#$ -S /bin/sh 
    # Reference file IO (.e and .o files) to the current working directory 
#$ -cwd 
#Merge the standard out and standard error to one file 
#$ -j y 
#Use the bioinf.q 
#$ -q bioinf.q 
. /etc/profile.d/modules.sh 

# Load modules 
module load bio/1.15 gatk/2.4.9 jdk/1.6.0_24 picard-tools/1.77 R/2.14.0

# All the other stuff (scythe, sickle, bwa, picard etc for cleaning, read mapping etc)

# Identify indels from reference genome
GenomeAnalysisTK \
    -I /mnt/lustre/scratch/bioenv/wg39/tmp/lhm_read_mapping/H001/H001_CRSN.bam \
    -R /home/w/wg/wg39/accessory_data_130613/Dmel_ref_seqs_051112/dmel-all-chromosome-r5.9.fasta \
    -T RealignerTargetCreator \
    -o /mnt/lustre/scratch/bioenv/wg39/tmp/lhm_read_mapping/H001/H001_realignment.intervals \
    --filter_mismatching_base_and_quals

The error message is:

untime.totalMemory()=1750597632
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: java
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)
Could not find the main class: java.  Program will exit.
Post edited by Geraldine_VdAuwera on
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• BlueBlue Posts: 24Member

PS Apologies for the weird font in the above message.

• WimSWimS Posts: 25Member

Are you running the latest version of GATK (2.6.3)? If so make sure that all your nodes run java 7. Execute java -version on all nodes to see the version. The output of that should be :

java version "1.7.0_25"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_25-b15)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode)

Hi Wim,

Thanks for your response. I've been running GATK 2.4.9 and Java 1.6_24-b07. I'm specifying which version of Java to use, at the beginning of the shell script. The reason for this was that even if the default cluster version of Java changes as I sequence more samples, the version for the analysis pipeline remains constant. In reality this might not be so practical.

I've tried running the script without specifying which Java version to use and the same error message is returned.

I'm getting GATK 2.6.3 installed. I'll have to check with IT about the java version.

So, I'm now assuming that the problem is caused by outdated version of Java.

Cheers anyway, I'll post the outcome,

Will

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 6,192Administrator, GATK Developer admin

Yes, starting with release 2.6 the GATK now requires Java 1.7. The announcement was delayed but will go out by noon today (EST). We'll also update all relevant documentation asap.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

Having updated GATK and Java, my script was still failing at the GATK commands. Under the suspicion that this was caused by conflict with another Java-based program (probably an older version of Picard), I specified for program modules to be loaded and unloaded only at the relevant stages in the processing pipeline, and not to load all at the beginning of the script (for which they had previously worked before the updates). Anyway this works. I'm not sure if I'd have to separate out Picard and GATK loading and unloading if Picard was a recent version. Frequent upgrades are a pain in the terminal abdominal segment.

• gokmenzgokmenz ShenzhenPosts: 1Member
    edited August 2013

Hey Blue, did you solve the problem? I am also meeting with a similar problem in IndelRealigner part. I hava Java 1.7 and tried different versions of GATK but still hava problem.

Here is my scripts:

gokmen@gokmen-MacBookPro:~/Desktop/Denemeler/GATK_VariantCalling/03.InDelRealignment$ java -Xmx1g –jar 01.bin/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar –T IndelRealigner –R ../00.RawData/reference.fa –I ../02.Mapping/sample1_RG.bam – ../00.RawData/Mills_and_1000G_gold_standard.indels.hg19.vcf – targetIntervals realigner.intervals –o realigned.bam

Error: Could not find or load main class –jar

Here is my Java version:

Java 1.7 java version "1.7.0_25" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_25-b15) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode)

Post edited by gokmenz on
  • Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 6,192Administrator, GATK Developer admin

Are you by any chance building from source and then moving the jar to a different location? With the basic build target this won't work because it doesn't generate a full packaged jar. But we can give you instructions to do so if you need that.

If you're using the precompiled binary then I have no idea what's going on.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• mpw6mpw6 Posts: 10Member

Hi, was this resolved? I'm having a similar problem:

[mpw6@compute-10-15 gatk]$ java /home/mpw6/GenomeAnalysisTK-2.7-2-g6bda569/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T RealignerTargetCreator -R human_g1k_v37.fasta -I F03-03.sorted.nodup.bam -known 1000G_phase1.indels.hg19.vcf -o F03-03.intervals.list

Error: Could not find or load main class .home.mpw6.GenomeAnalysisTK-2.7-2-g6bda569.GenomeAnalysisTK.jar

[mpw6@compute-10-15 gatk]$ java -version

java version "1.7.0_03" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_03-b04) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 22.1-b02, mixed mode)

I downloaded the jar. It's not built from source.

• mpw6mpw6 Posts: 10Member