LiftoverVariants

meharmehar Posts: 72Member

Hi,

I am using GATK v2.4.9 and i am trying to liftover from one build to another. Below are the arguments for LiftoverVariants:

Arguments for LiftoverVariants:
-V,--variant Input VCF file
-o,--out File to which variants should be written
-chain,--chain Chain file
-dict,--newSequenceDictionary Sequence .dict file for the new build
-recordOriginalLocation,--recordOriginalLocation Should we record what the original location was in the INFO field?

Here is the command i have used,
java -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T LiftoverVariants -chain canFam2ToCanFam3.over.chain -dict canFam3_dog_genome.dict -V
canFam2_snp131.vcf -o canFam3_snp131.vcf

It showed an error message:
ERROR MESSAGE: Walker requires a reference but none was provided.

The argument reference was not present in the documentation and the tool needs a reference argument. If it is required, what should be the reference file, new build or old build?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 7,427Administrator, GATK Developer admin

I believe you need the new build reference.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• meharmehar Posts: 72Member

Okay. Will try and get back if there is any problem. Thanks

• DrepanisDrepanis Posts: 6Member

Hi Dr. Van der Auwera,

I am trying to convert a vcf file from rn4 to rn5 (rat vcf files)
    0) Where might I find LiftoverVariants.jar. Is it not part of GATK v2.6-5? I looked for documentation, but I couldn't find. Looked at ftp.broadinstitute.org. I did spend some time looking for, sorry if it is under my nose.

1) Are the UCSC chains for non-humans going to work?

Thank you very much.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 7,427Administrator, GATK Developer admin

Hi Drepanis,

The liftover tools are packaged within the GATK jar, as are all our tools. We don't make separate jars like the Picard tools, if that's what you were thinking of.

I can't comment on the rat chain files but I expect they should work fine, yes.

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD