Bug Bulletin: we have identified a bug that affects indexing when producing gzipped VCFs. This will be fixed in the upcoming 3.2 release; in the meantime you need to reindex gzipped VCFs using Tabix.

Recommendation on performance using scatter/gather

LaurentLaurent Posts: 33Member, GSA Collaborator
edited April 2013 in Ask the team

Dear all,

I am currently running an analysis using the HaplotypeCaller on 300 large BAM files on our cluster and decided to chunk the the genome in 3MB bins in order for them to be processed in a decent time. I'm however experiencing very long runtimes as more and more jobs get scheduled to run in parallel on the same files. Looking at the GATK options, I saw these 2 that I thought could be of help and was wondering what were the recommendation for using them: --num_bam_file_handles --read_buffer_size

More precisely, does the num_bam_file_handles increase processing time by a lot? and what is the default value for --read_buffer_size ?

Thanks a lot, Laurent

Post edited by Laurent on

Best Answer

Answers

• LaurentLaurent Posts: 33Member, GSA Collaborator

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the explanation! I will digg more into the problem, but at the moment what I am reporting is only "observation" of my runtimes getting extremely high when running in parallel. I have observed similar problems when running other walkers using scatter/gather in the past on our cluster. I'll give a shot at extracting the regions using PrintReads to a local scratch beforehand and let you know if this helps! I'll also use the nightly build to benefit from the latest improvements.