Bug Bulletin: we have identified a bug that affects indexing when producing gzipped VCFs. This will be fixed in the upcoming 3.2 release; in the meantime you need to reindex gzipped VCFs using Tabix.

ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1, -2, -4, -5, -15 during BaseRecalibrator

rammaramma Posts: 1Member
edited February 2013 in Ask the team

Hi there, I have a set of data I'm trying to process through GATK for SNP and Indel calling. When these files get to the BaseRecalibrator I get an error as follows.

ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR stack trace

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1 at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.baq.BAQ.calcEpsilon(BAQ.java:158) at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.baq.BAQ.hmm_glocal(BAQ.java:246) at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.baq.BAQ.calcBAQFromHMM(BAQ.java:542) at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.baq.BAQ.calcBAQFromHMM(BAQ.java:595) at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.baq.BAQ.calcBAQFromHMM(BAQ.java:530) at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.baq.BAQ.baqRead(BAQ.java:663) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.bqsr.BaseRecalibrator.calculateBAQArray(BaseRecalibrator.java:428) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.bqsr.BaseRecalibrator.map(BaseRecalibrator.java:243) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.bqsr.BaseRecalibrator.map(BaseRecalibrator.java:112) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.traversals.TraverseReadsNano$TraverseReadsMap.apply(TraverseReadsNano.java:203) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.traversals.TraverseReadsNano$TraverseReadsMap.apply(TraverseReadsNano.java:191) at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.nanoScheduler.NanoScheduler.executeSingleThreaded(NanoScheduler.java:248) at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.nanoScheduler.NanoScheduler.execute(NanoScheduler.java:219) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.traversals.TraverseReadsNano.traverse(TraverseReadsNano.java:91) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.traversals.TraverseReadsNano.traverse(TraverseReadsNano.java:55) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.executive.LinearMicroScheduler.execute(LinearMicroScheduler.java:83) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.GenomeAnalysisEngine.execute(GenomeAnalysisEngine.java:281) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineExecutable.execute(CommandLineExecutable.java:113) at org.broadinstitute.sting.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:237) at org.broadinstitute.sting.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:147) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineGATK.main(CommandLineGATK.java:91)

ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR A GATK RUNTIME ERROR has occurred (version 2.3-6-gebbba25):
ERROR
ERROR Please visit the wiki to see if this is a known problem
ERROR If not, please post the error, with stack trace, to the GATK forum
ERROR Visit our website and forum for extensive documentation and answers to
ERROR commonly asked questions http://www.broadinstitute.org/gatk
ERROR
ERROR MESSAGE: -1

Each file has a different error number with -1, -2, -4, -5, or -15. The only other thing different in the outputs is line 4, at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.baq.BAQ.hmm_glocal(BAQ.java:246) , in which the 246 is occasionally 225.

The same scripts I am using for these runs have successfully completed about 40+ other runs to date, so I'm at a bit of a loss here. I am running Java version 1.7.0_13 on Ubuntu 12.04. Any help resolving this would be appreciated.

Post edited by ramma on

Answers