Bug Bulletin: we have identified a bug that affects indexing when producing gzipped VCFs. This will be fixed in the upcoming 3.2 release; in the meantime you need to reindex gzipped VCFs using Tabix.

Calling SNPs in a hemiclone experiment

BlueBlue Posts: 17Member

Hi Team,

I'm sequencing the genome of an organism which is a cross between the reference line (with no SNPs) and an individual from an outbred population (with many SNPs). Therefore all of the SNPs in my target organism will be heterozygous. So far I have sequenced three individuals which are crosses and one individual from our reference line.

I understand that the UnifiedGenotyper uses population genetic principles to ascertain genotype but I can't find more information about how this is performed. Thus, I am primarily worried that heterozygotes with strongly asymmetric allele counts in the reads will be called as homozygotes in order to fit in with, say Hard-Wienberg equilibrium.

Is there any chance you could enlighten me on this ? (or direct me to more detailed information on UG mechanism and settings).

Just to let you know the background, my study organism is Drosophila melanogaster. The whole genome of 164Mb is paired-end sequenced on an Illumina. I have so far sequenced one individual from our in-house reference line, and three individuals which are crosses of the reference line with a diverse, out-bred population. Average coverage is 30X. The 'crosses' are hemiclones in which recombination between the parental chromosomes is suppressed. I plan on sequencing 200 hemiclone individuals in which one haplotype will be shared between them (the reference gene) and the other haplotype will be diverse and unique to each line. As expected, I have identified a limited number of mutations in our in-house laboratory reference line compared to that of the assembly.

Any advice on how to best call genotypes in this unorthodox sample would be most appreciated.

Best Answer

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 5,276 admin
    Answer ✓

Hi there,

Actually the UG does NOT use population genetics principles to ascertain genotypes. Genotypes are strictly greedily assigned from the genotype likelihoods (which are just based on the data). No Hardy-Weinberg in the UG at all. So you can just go ahead with the Best Practices we describe in the documentation. Good luck!