BQSR fails giving Malformed read

vcf4vcf4 Posts: 6Member

Dear GATK Team,

I am running a pipeline on several high coverage human individuals that have been mapped using bwa and processed using samtools, picard and gatk. The bam-files pass ValidateSam from picard, but when I run the bqsr step some of them fails giving a Malformed read error (using -filterMBQ does not help in this case). I tracked down the error to bamfiles that ends with a paired end read where the mate maps in the beginning of the contig (in my case human mtDNA).

Eg, this will make it crash:

readX 177 MT 16558 37 7S2M2I10M80S = 294 -16176 GACCTGTGATCC...
readY 177 MT 16558 37 7S2M2I10M80S = 238 -16232 GACCTGTGATCC...
readZ 113 MT 16558 37 7S2M2I10M80S = 273 -16197 GACCTGTGATCC...
[END]

where a file ending like this wont crash:

readX 83 MT 16469 60 101M = 16246 -324 TGGGGGTAGCTAAAGTGAAC...
readY 147 MT 16469 60 101M = 16267 -303 TGGGGGTAGCTAAAGTGA...
readZ 147 MT 16469 60 101M = 16193 -377 TGGGGGTAGCTAAAGTGAAC...
[END]

I am running GATK v2.3-9-ge5ebf34, but the same error occurs using GATK v-2.2-3 (my previous version). I can genotype the files using UnifiedGenotyper without any problem as well.

This is the error:

ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR stack trace

org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.exceptions.ReviewedStingException: Array length mismatch detected. Malformed read? at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.bqsr.BaseRecalibrator.calculateFractionalErrorArray(BaseRecalibrator.java:380) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.bqsr.BaseRecalibrator.map(BaseRecalibrator.java:246) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.walkers.bqsr.BaseRecalibrator.map(BaseRecalibrator.java:112) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.traversals.TraverseReadsNano$TraverseReadsMap.apply(TraverseReadsNano.java:203) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.traversals.TraverseReadsNano$TraverseReadsMap.apply(TraverseReadsNano.java:191) at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.nanoScheduler.NanoScheduler$MapReduceJob.run(NanoScheduler.java:468) at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR A GATK RUNTIME ERROR has occurred (version 2.3-9-ge5ebf34):
ERROR
ERROR Please visit the wiki to see if this is a known problem
ERROR If not, please post the error, with stack trace, to the GATK forum
ERROR Visit our website and forum for extensive documentation and answers to
ERROR commonly asked questions http://www.broadinstitute.org/gatk
ERROR
ERROR MESSAGE: Array length mismatch detected. Malformed read?

Cheers,

Simon

Comments