Getting more runtime errors with GATK

Hi,

I had a seemingly random RUNTIME ERROR previously (mentioned on this thread http://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/discussion/1860/runtime-error-in-baserecalibrator-version-2-2-8-g99996f2), but I'm seeing this more and more for UnifiedGenotyper runs.

It seems that every 6-10 runs I get one or two that fail as below. Re-runinng seems to work correctly, but this is annoying to find that a 12hr job has died randomly. Please can this be investigated.

ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR stack trace

java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.hasQueuedPredecessors(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:1453)
at java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantLock$FairSync.tryAcquire(ReentrantLock.java:240)
at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.acquire(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:1136)
at java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantLock$FairSync.lock(ReentrantLock.java:229)
at java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantLock.lock(ReentrantLock.java:290)
at java.util.concurrent.PriorityBlockingQueue.peek(PriorityBlockingQueue.java:286)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.nanoScheduler.Reducer.reduceNextValueInQueue(Reducer.java:89)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.nanoScheduler.Reducer.reduceAsMuchAsPossible(Reducer.java:120)
at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.nanoScheduler.NanoScheduler$MapReduceJob.run(NanoScheduler.java:510)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:166)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)

ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR A GATK RUNTIME ERROR has occurred (version 2.2-8-g99996f2):
ERROR
ERROR Please visit the wiki to see if this is a known problem
ERROR If not, please post the error, with stack trace, to the GATK forum
ERROR Visit our website and forum for extensive documentation and answers to
ERROR commonly asked questions http://www.broadinstitute.org/gatk
ERROR
ERROR MESSAGE: Code exception (see stack trace for error itself)

My commandline is this: java -Xmx8g -jar GenomeAnalysisTKLite.jar -nct 4 -T UnifiedGenotyper --genotype_likelihoods_model BOTH --genotyping_mode DISCOVERY -R fastafile -I infile -o outfile --dbsnp dbsnp_137.b37.vcf -stand_call_conf 30 -stand_emit_conf 30

This usually coincides with errors is calling home code, although I don't know if it's cause or effect.

"INFO 16:41:33,533 HttpMethodDirector - I/O exception (javax.net.ssl.SSLException) caught when processing request: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected error: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty

INFO 16:41:33,534 HttpMethodDirector - Retrying request
INFO 16:41:33,716 HttpMethodDirector - I/O exception (javax.net.ssl.SSLException) caught when processing request: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected error: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty
INFO 16:41:33,716 HttpMethodDirector - Retrying request
INFO 16:41:33,897 HttpMethodDirector - I/O exception (javax.net.ssl.SSLException) caught when processing request: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected error: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty
INFO 16:41:33,897 HttpMethodDirector - Retrying request
INFO 16:41:34,077 HttpMethodDirector - I/O exception (javax.net.ssl.SSLException) caught when processing request: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected error: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty
INFO 16:41:34,085 HttpMethodDirector - Retrying request
INFO 16:41:34,267 HttpMethodDirector - I/O exception (javax.net.ssl.SSLException) caught when processing request: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected error: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty
INFO 16:41:34,267 HttpMethodDirector - Retrying request "

Best Answer

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 8,171Administrator, GATK Dev admin

Can you tell me what OS and version of java you're using?

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• drchriscoledrchriscole Posts: 16Member

Linux CentOS5.5 and Java 1.6.0_32

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 8,171Administrator, GATK Dev admin

Hmm, nothing strange there. Unfortunately we can only take a closer look at this if you isolate a snippet of bam file that reliably reproduces the error, could you do that? Otherwise it may be that your platform simply does not handle nct properly. If so you'll need to take a look at the other parallelism options we offer (see new docs posted yesterday).

That's the problem. It's not consistent. If I rerun problematic jobs they usually complete fine. However, from running this on many samples I get about 1/6 jobs fail the first time.

I see; unfortunately we can't investigate it if we can't reproduce the error locally. Have a look at the other parallelism options here:

http://www.broadinstitute.org/gatk/guide/article?id=1975

You may want to look into using Queue. You can use scatter-gather to parallelize your jobs, and Queue will automatically retry failed jobs.

Also, note that we've changed the implementation of nct that will be in release 2.4, so when it's out you should try nct again and see whether the issue persists or not.

THanks.

Any idea when 2.4 will be releaseD?