Bug Bulletin: The recent 3.2 release fixes many issues. If you run into a problem, please try the latest version before posting a bug report, as your problem may already have been solved.

Calling variants on whole exome and whole genome samples together?

jaredmejaredme Posts: 2Member
edited January 2013 in Ask the GATK team

Hi,

I have 15 affected samples. 2 are whole exome and 13 are whole genome. They have already been realigned on a single-sample level and had BQSR performed. I am contemplating running UnifiedGenotyper on all 15 samples together because we would like to compare the calls across the samples (especially in the coding regions). I am aware that there would be a large number of variant calls in the whole genome samples that would have little to no coverage in the exome samples. I haven't been able to find any posts that say you should or shouldn't run whole genome and exome samples through UnifiedGenotyper together. Are there any reasons why this should be discouraged?

Also, assuming I do perform multi-sample calling across all 15 samples, would it be ok to run that multi-sample VCF file through VQSR?

Thanks! Jared

Post edited by Geraldine_VdAuwera on

Best Answer

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 5,856Administrator, GATK Developer admin

Hi Jared,

That's a rather different approach than what we have experience with. Classically we would call the whole genomes and the exomes separately, then compare callsets with the variant evaluation tools.

As we've never tried the approach you suggest, I can't really comment one way or the other, except to say there is no major obstacle to doing it that I can think of. If you try this, please do let us know how it turns out, so we can share the merits or drawbacks with the user community. Thanks!

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

• jaredmejaredme Posts: 2Member

Thanks for your answer. I ended up separating the exome and whole genome samples before performing multi-sample calling so I wouldn't risk confusing VQSR afterwards. I also had another project where I was working with exome samples from 2 different versions of a capture kit. I separated those as well for the same reason.