Bug Bulletin: we have identified a bug that affects indexing when producing gzipped VCFs. This will be fixed in the upcoming 3.2 release; in the meantime you need to reindex gzipped VCFs using Tabix.

HaplotypeScore not annotated?

flescaiflescai Posts: 48Member ✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the team

Hi there, I'm running into an issue with my Queue pipeline, with variants called with HaplotypeCaller. Once I get the raw VCF file, I use VariantAnnotator before VQSR: however, no HaplotypeScore annotation is being produced, resulting in a failure of the VariantRecalibrator step where 'HaplotypeScore' was indicated as an annotation.

I tried to correct the issue by indicating to VariantAnnotator to use all annotations

class AnnotationArguments (t: Target) extends VariantAnnotator with UNIVERSAL_GATK_ARGS {
this.reference_sequence = qscript.referenceFile
// Set the memory limit to 7 gigabytes on each command.
    this.memoryLimit = 7
    this.input_file :+= qscript.bamFile
    this.useAllAnnotations
    this.D = qscript.dbSNP_b37
  }

But I still can't get any output in the annotated VCF of that parameter. Here an example of a variant

AC=5;AF=0.078;AN=64;ActiveRegionSize=179;ClippingRankSum=-0.568;DB;DP=2025;EVENTLENGTH=0;FS=4.139;InbreedingCoeff=-0.0847;MLEAC=5;MLEAF=0.078;MQ=69.98;MQRankSum=-1.428;NVH=1;NumHapAssembly=15;NumHapEval=13;QD=17.20;QDE=17.20;ReadPosRankSum=-1.762;TYPE=SNP;extType=SNP

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

thanks very much for your help, Francesco

Best Answer

Answers

• ebanksebanks Posts: 671GSA Member mod

Hi Francesco,

Our recommendation is that you follow the best practices for variant detection. It looks like you aren't doing that in your pipeline. That being said, you can always use the Variant Annotator to add the Haplotype Score to your VCF records if you really want to do that.

Eric Banks, PhD -- Senior Group Leader, MPG Analysis, Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT

• flescaiflescai Posts: 48Member ✭✭

Hi Eric, thanks very much, I didn't quite notice the covariates changed in the new best practice to

-an QD -an MQRankSum -an ReadPosRankSum -an FS -an MQ -an InbreedingCoeff -an ClippingRankSum

thanks for flagging it up! before using "this.useAllAnnotations" I used

this.annotation ++= List("QD", "QDE", "HaplotypeScore", "MQRankSum", "ReadPosRankSum", "FS", "MQ")

but 'HaplotypeScore' was not added anyway. is that because of the output of HaplotypeCaller is different?

thanks for your help, Francesco

• rpoplinrpoplin Posts: 118GSA Member mod

In the upcoming release of GATK v2.2 we restored this functionality and so you'll be getting HaplotypeScore again in your variant calls!

Cheers,