Service Notice: Due to the blizzard currently hammering the US Northeast, the Broad is shut down and the GATK forum will be mostly unattended while we hunker down and sip hot cocoa with marshmallows. Assuming the power stays on and we're able to dig ourselves out of the snow when it's all over, normal service should resume Wednesday or Thursday.

-rf BadCigar

newbie16newbie16 Posts: 32Member
edited August 2012 in Ask the GATK team

Hello,

I have a bam file where few reads have CIGAR strings that start with Deletions. For example: 440H1D33M1I1D33M. I am trying to execute BaseRecalibrator (2.0 beta) on this file. However, I see an error below:

"##### ERROR MESSAGE: SAM/BAM file SAMFileReader{/home/datarig/CGP/GatkAnalysis/NG_2012_05_10_v2.6/WithGATK2.0/with_SamV2/NG_R1/test.ordered.sorted.realigned.bam} is malformed: Read starting with de letion. Cigar: 440H1D33M1I1D33M. This is an indication of a malformed file, but the SAM spec allows reads starting in deletion. If you are sure you want to use this read, re-run your analysis with the extra option: -rf BadCigar"

However if I use the -rf BadCigar filter, I still get the same error. The command I used is pasted below.

"java -Xmx4g -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T BaseRecalibrator -I test.bam -R ucsc.hg19.fasta -knownSites dbsnp_135.hg19.vcf -o recal_data.grp -rf BadCigar"

Could you please let me know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers