Bug Bulletin: we have identified a bug that affects indexing when producing gzipped VCFs. This will be fixed in the upcoming 3.2 release; in the meantime you need to reindex gzipped VCFs using Tabix.

Frequently asked questions about Scala

Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 5,260Administrator, GSA Member admin
edited March 2013 in Developer Zone

1. What is Scala?

Scala is a combination of an object oriented framework and a functional programming language. For a good introduction see the free online book Programming Scala.

The following are extremely brief answers to frequently asked questions about Scala which often pop up when first viewing or editing QScripts. For more information on Scala there a multitude of resources available around the web including the Scala home page and the online Scala Doc.

2. Where do I learn more about Scala?

3. What is the difference between var and val?

var is a value you can later modify, while val is similar to final in Java.

4. What is the difference between Scala collections and Java collections? / Why do I get the error: type mismatch?

Because the GATK and Queue are a mix of Scala and Java sometimes you'll run into problems when you need a Scala collection and instead a Java collection is returned.

MyQScript.scala:39: error: type mismatch;
     found   : java.util.List[java.lang.String]
     required: scala.List[String]
        val wrapped: List[String] = TextFormattingUtils.wordWrap(text, width)

Use the implicit definitions in JavaConversions to automatically convert the basic Java collections to and from Scala collections.

import collection.JavaConversions._

Scala has a very rich collections framework which you should take the time to enjoy. One of the first things you'll notice is that the default Scala collections are immutable, which means you should treat them as you would a String. When you want to 'modify' an immutable collection you need to capture the result of the operation, often assigning the result back to the original variable.

var str = "A"
str + "B"
println(str) // prints: A
str += "C"
println(str) // prints: AC

var set = Set("A")
set + "B"
println(set) // prints: Set(A)
set += "C"
println(set) // prints: Set(A, C)

5. How do I append to a list?

Use the :+ operator for a single value.

var myList = List.empty[String]
  myList :+= "a"
  myList :+= "b"
  myList :+= "c"

Use ++ for appending a list.

var myList = List.empty[String]
  myList ++= List("a", "b", "c")

6. How do I add to a set?

Use the + operator.

var mySet = Set.empty[String]
  mySet += "a"
  mySet += "b"
  mySet += "c"

7. How do I add to a map?

Use the + and -> operators.

var myMap = Map.empty[String,Int]
  myMap += "a" -> 1
  myMap += "b" -> 2
  myMap += "c" -> 3

8. What are Option, Some, and None?

Option is a Scala generic type that can either be some generic value or None. Queue often uses it to represent primitives that may be null.

var myNullableInt1: Option[Int] = Some(1)
  var myNullableInt2: Option[Int] = None

9. What is _ / What is the underscore?

François Armand's slide deck is a good introduction: http://www.slideshare.net/normation/scala-dreaded

To quote from his slides:

Give me a variable name but
- I don't care of what it is
- and/or
- don't want to pollute my namespace with it

10. How do I format a String?

Use the .format() method.

This Java snippet:

String formatted = String.format("%s %i", myString, myInt);

In Scala would be:

val formatted = "%s %i".format(myString, myInt)

11. Can I use Scala Enumerations as QScript @Arguments?

No. Currently Scala's Enumeration class does not interact with the Java reflection API in a way that could be used for Queue command line arguments. You can use Java enums if for example you are importing a Java based walker's enum type.

If/when we find a workaround for Queue we'll update this entry. In the meantime try using a String.

Post edited by Geraldine_VdAuwera on

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

Comments