How can I access the GSA public FTP server?

Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 8,171Administrator, GATK Dev admin
edited September 2014 in FAQs

We make various files available for public download from the GSA FTP server, such as the GATK resource bundle and presentation slides. We also maintain a public upload feature for processing bug reports from users.

There are two logins to choose from depending on whether you want to upload or download something:

Downloading

username: gsapubftp-anonymous
password: <blank>

Uploading

username: gsapubftp
password: 5WvQWSfi

Using a browser as FTP client

If you use your browser as FTP client, make sure to include the login information in the address, otherwise you will access the general Broad Institute FTP instead of our team FTP. This should work as a direct link (for downloading only):

ftp://gsapubftp-anonymous@ftp.broadinstitute.org/bundle

Post edited by Geraldine_VdAuwera on

Geraldine Van der Auwera, PhD

Comments

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 8,171Administrator, GATK Dev admin

Questions and comments up to August 2014 have been moved to an archival thread here:

http://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/discussion/4559/questions-about-accessing-the-bundle-ftp-server

• cpenkettcpenkett Cambridge, UKPosts: 1Member

Hi there. Are you planning to upgrade the Broad Bundle to work with the GRCh38 genome and if so, do you know when the datasets will be available.
    Best wishes,
    Chris Penkett

• SheilaSheila Broad InstitutePosts: 1,663Member, GATK Dev, Broadie, Moderator, DSDE Dev admin

@cpenkett

Hi Chris,

Have a look at this thread which may answer your questions: http://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/discussion/3843/plans-to-update-the-gatk-bundle#latest

-Sheila

• yqyeyqye Posts: 1Member

Hi,

I wasn't able to login ftp://gsapubftp-anonymous@ftp.broadinstitute.org/bundle. It always gave me login incorrect error message. Please help. Thanks.

Yuanqing

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Posts: 8,171Administrator, GATK Dev admin

@yqye‌ This looks like a temporary issue with the FTP server. I'll check with the server admin. Meanwhile, try connecting again later. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• naymikmnaymikm Posts: 6Member

anonymous

works, is there a way to navigate to the bundle from there?

@naymikm I don't understand your question. Do you have a problem accessing the bundle contents?

Sorry the formatting turned out weird.. I can't access the ftp server with the login credentials. user:anonymous pass: blank> works. Can I access the bundle through the ftp from there?

No, that will take you to the general Broad FTP server, not our group's. The link above worked for me when I tested it just now, does that not work for you?

Hey it works now! It wasn't before... Thanks!

• simonsanchezjsimonsanchezj GermanyPosts: 47Member

Hello, I am trying to follow this link ftp://gsapubftp-anonymous@ftp.broadinstitute.org/bundle but cannot access the bundle. Getting the following error message: "This webpage is not available".

thanks!

If the direct link is not working for you, please try using an FTP client (such as FileZilla).

• vincenzvincenz Ann ArborPosts: 1Member

Your link
    ftp://gsapubftp-anonymous@ftp.broadinstitute.org/bundle
    is not working. It does not accept my password and as a guest it's not working either. I there a problem at your end?

• SheilaSheila Broad InstitutePosts: 1,663Member, GATK Dev, Broadie, Moderator, DSDE Dev admin

@vincenz
    Hi,

It is working for me. Can you try one more time? Also, have you tried simply going to ftp.broadinstitute.org and using the username and password? https://www.broadinstitute.org/gatk/guide/article?id=1215

I hope it works this time.

-Sheila

• bijuissacbijuissac Wash DCPosts: 1Member

This was using FileZila, any suggestions
    I used
    adress: ftp.broadinstitute.org
    passwd:

Got back
    Status: Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".
    Error: Could not connect to server

@bijuissac
    Hi,

You can try checking to see to see if your firewall is blocking FileZilla. Or, you can also talk to your IT department for help.

-Sheila

• marchoeppnermarchoeppner Kiel, GermanyPosts: 1Member
    edited July 28

Hi,

I can confirm that the FTP Login does not work. Connection refused when using the credentials provided above. Sheila, since you are at the Broad, I am guessing that this explains why it works for you. From Germany it really does not (the anonymous login to the public FTP works though, although of course I wasn't able to locate the bundle files there). Tried it via a browser, FileZilla and Linux CLI.

Post edited by marchoeppner on

Issue · Github
    by Sheila

Issue Number
    State
    closed
    Last Updated
    Assignee
    Array
    Milestone
    Array
    Closed By
    vdauwera

Ack, FTP acting up again? We're getting closer to replacing it with a better solution, but in the meantime I'll have to run this through our IT helpdesk. Sorry for the inconvenience, folks. We'll notify you when this is resolved.

• pandapanda beijingPosts: 2Member

I am use filezilla.
    adress: ftp.broadinstitute.org
    passwd:

If this username has a password?

• tkoyamatkoyama The University of TokyoPosts: 7Member

Hi.
    I tried FTP connection to upload my data but failed.

$ ftp
    ftp> open ftp.broadinstitute.org
    Connected to ftp.broadinstitute.org (69.173.80.251).
    220 ProFTPD 1.3.4a Server (Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard) [69.173.80.251]
    Name (ftp.broadinstitute.org:koyama): gsapubftp
    331 Password required for gsapubftp
    Password:
    530 Login incorrect.
    Login failed.
    Remote system type is UNIX.
    Using binary mode to transfer files.

I also tried if I can login as anonymous user but still failed.

Name (ftp.broadinstitute.org:koyama): gsapubftp-anonymous
    331 Password required for gsapubftp-anonymous
    Password:
    530 Login incorrect.
    Login failed.

However, when I try with name 'anonymous', I can login.

Name (ftp.broadinstitute.org:koyama): anonymous
    331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your password
    Password:
    230-Welcome to the FTP server for the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard 
     in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.

All file transfers are logged.

If you have problems, please contact the IT/Systems Group: 
     help@broadinstitute.org

This information was last updated December 2011.
    230 Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply

Is this usual and how can I login as 'gsapubftp'?
    Thank you for your kind helps.

tkoyama

@tkoyama @panda

Hi,

Yes, it looks like the FTP is still not working. I will let you know when it works again.

-Sheila

• tkoyamatkoyama The University of TokyoPosts: 7Member

Hi, Shiela

OK. Thanks!

tkoyama

• pandapanda beijingPosts: 2Member

OK!Thanks!

• d.aguilerad.aguilera AmsterdamPosts: 1Member

Is the FTP already working? I have tried to connect and was no possible

@d.aguilera
    Hi,

Sorry about that. I was told it should be back and up running smoothly again. I have emailed our IT department again.

-Sheila

@bijuissac @marchoeppner @panda @tkoyama @d.aguliera
    Hi,

The FTP should be back up and running again. Please let me know if you are still having trouble.

Thanks,
    Sheila